Wednesday, December 30, 2015

ramping up for the new year...

I've got some fun new things on the horizon mentally and physically for the new year: whoooohooo.... !

I think resolutions are fun, but as I've seen when I had an active gym membership...the parking lot goes from jam packed to somewhat normal by mid January.  Even though perfection is impossible, it's always good to have the reminder of the new year to take a look at things; to discern if there are areas that could use some lifestyle tweaks.  It's like the seasons...things do naturally go in cycles and there are seasons of waking up and renewal.

For my brain: I'm most excited about a class that starts mid January from Liberty University's online program.  I've wanted to finish my bachelors (I finished my associates) for awhile, but didn't want to just finish it with no direction on what I wanted to do with it.  I think I've finally found what I'm passionate about and what justifies the expense of classes (part time classes are not cheap!).  I'm starting off slow because I'm still rather buried under a pile of Latin work tutoring Noah's class.  I've started plowing through some of the reading for my first class in Apologetics and I LOVE it.  I had to take a placement test for math and I LOVED it. haha  I've always loved school.  It wakes my brain up and makes me feel alive.  My hope is to finish my degree in counseling and use it in partnership with a Christian counseling service part time...But I'm open to however God works it's purpose into me life.  I'm very passionate about helping people in the arena of addiction and bondage to things and feel very invigorated and like I'm arming myself for battle when I read and research about it.

Physically, I'm going off sugar again.  I made it 9 months last year before taking a break the last quarter and felt so much better mentally and physically.  I always allow for treats with sugar on trips, when eating out with Luke or friends and for birthdays/holiday gatherings.  I also allow myself to try things if someone asks me to so I don't end up in awkward situations of declining a forkful of something kindly offered. :)  Basically it's choosing one thing at celebrations and not downing sugar all day at home when my energy drops.  I use honey as a sweetener and love the flavor of it now so I won't be too depraved. :)

Luke and I have been enjoying connecting while practice hiking around our block in the evening with our backpacks on.  I'm really looking forward to the Grand Canyon in the spring.  We hike all the way to a coffee shop sometimes about a mile+ away and it's super funny to hike on in and order a drink with all our gear on.  People try to act like there is nothing out of the norm...you know, because culture is so much better at that kind of thing these days...but eventually someone will ask what in the world we are doing loaded down like pack mules. haha

I've claimed an area of the basement for workouts when I'm stuck at home and don't want to go running or bike.  I'm all about variety.  I get board really easily.  My gym membership is on hold since I'm not training for anything and don't need the pool.  I invested in a rowing machine which oddly feels similar to swimming when I get into a rhythmic groove.  Luke hung a swing for me as well for stretching that has been really fun.  I'll keep you updated on what works and doesn't in the basement workout area.  It's been a fun little project.  The foam puzzle piece floor is extremely insulating and I plan to tape the outer edge with a  black boarder so it doesn't come apart under little feet.   I have a  lot of organizing to do in the back storage area so it's more tranquil feeling and hope to hang a mirror on the wall to check that my back is straight etc.  As you can see, the boys like the area too. :)
 Twinkle lights :D
 Luke checking the weight limit on the swing for me ;)
 I'm glad it didn't fall while he was in this pose trying it out ;) ;)
signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

8 comments:

emilykate said...

Interesting! We actually have some similar new year thoughts...

L, Ann and boys said...

we'll have to chat about it :D I think new years is fun. It always makes me want to buy a planner...I resist since I don't end up using them all that much. ;) ha

Kristen Hodel said...

You remind me so much of Mandy, my sis in law! You have great ideas & are so good at focusing and then implementing. We will see how our new year goes. I look forward to keeping up w/your blog and seeing how the basement workout goes. Great job on the sugar fast! And going back to school....that sounds exhausting to me, but once again, your personality fits :) Benj would love to go back to school someday too...maybe in 10 yrs or so.

Kristen Hodel said...

You remind me so much of Mandy, my sis in law! You have great ideas & are so good at focusing and then implementing. We will see how our new year goes. I look forward to keeping up w/your blog and seeing how the basement workout goes. Great job on the sugar fast! And going back to school....that sounds exhausting to me, but once again, your personality fits :) Benj would love to go back to school someday too...maybe in 10 yrs or so.

Kristen Hodel said...

You remind me so much of Mandy, my sis in law! You have great ideas & are so good at focusing and then implementing. We will see how our new year goes. I look forward to keeping up w/your blog and seeing how the basement workout goes. Great job on the sugar fast! And going back to school....that sounds exhausting to me, but once again, your personality fits :) Benj would love to go back to school someday too...maybe in 10 yrs or so he will talk me into thinking it's a great idea :) The way you say you LOVE the learning...I feel like I'm listening to him :)

Kristen Hodel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J and A said...

Jealous of getting to go back to school- I've always loved learning, though with my current brain fog, I'm not sure how well that would go! Kudos to you for going off of sugar again too! Your mom is trying to talk me into it- not sure I will take the bait ;)

And I loved seeing pics of your new workout area, but I think I would've preferred a backpacking in Starbucks picture more! :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Kristen- this motivates me to update about the progress down there :D and Amber, I'll have to see what I can do next time we head out on the trail to get a drink ;) haha