Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas morning in pictures...

We got bunny!  This picture is a few days before Christmas up in my closet trying to hide the little thing.  We got her on Craigslist so she already had the name Willow.  She's so cute-huge eyes and little ears. :)
 making traditional german sweet bread with prune/apricot filling for Caleb per the Schafer side tradition.  We made WAY too much filling on accident.  I now have a freezer full of the stuff.

 Adrian made a mini braided roll :)

 When the kids went to bed...we put on eye protection and had an all out Nerf Gun war against the boys.  We're not sure who won but Laura and I had prime position at the bottom of the basement steps.

 Little Sim Ray couldn't smile any bigger holding a bunny :)

 And then the Lego build off commenced!  We had a big promotional gift card from Amazon burning a whole in our pockets and went a bit Lego crazy.  We had a race going which I finished most definitely last.  My first Lego set and it was a doozy of a starting point.  I was building my set for six full hours strong with breaks to change diapers and get a drink only.  We took the four older boys to a Christmas show as their main gift this year and then decided on the Lego expert challenge as their one and only gift under the tree.  

We are going to try something new next year by celebrating Saint Nicholas on December 6th, which we just learned is actually the day originally set aside to remember him...kind of like Saint Patricks day.  The two holidays were so close together that they were combined and we like the idea of pulling them apart again and making the whole month of December more festive and fun.  Stockings set out are traditionally filled with oranges or chocolate gold coins in memory of gold balls and gold coins Saint Nicolas gave to children in need.  I'm brain storming what else we could do early December- we've done the Shoe Box project before and the kids loved getting little things to fill them up for kids overseas.  They have to be mailed early too so it would line up with the 6th of December.  Let me know what traditions your families do that have worked well! :D  
 This picture is the last set of bags for the roof of my French Restaurant at like 8:30pm...and I'm close to having bags under my eyes from all the concentration.  They boys kept encouraging me to keep going and were so impressed that I could build Legos at all.  They didn't think I had it in me I guess :D
 The prize.... and the boys saying "these are the glory days!"
 Legos took their best selling toy in history place under our tree as the only gifts...oh, and a bunny-don't forget Willow the bunny.
Merry Christmas!

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

8 comments:

smw said...

I LOVE those Lego town scenes. So cute!!

In the past we have focused on a different country each year for Christmas. Doing crafts and activities from their culture, reading and cooking/baking things that are traditional there. I love things like that, and it spread learning and family times over the whole month.

L, Ann and boys said...

Well that's a great idea! :D I'm sure the kids would really enjoy going country to country...they love making food of course too. :)

Daveana said...

I love bunnies, so how fun for the kids to get one. G's little bird sweater is too adorable!! Kind of envious! The lego town is super neat! I love how detailed it is. Love that the boys didn't know you could do Legos. Haha...

Ashton said...

Poppy has been wanting a bunny for quite a while. We'll definitely have to come over and pet little Willow!:) Also, those Legos are awesome! Poppy got her first set for Christmas and she's quite the fan. It was a good bonding experience for her and Bry.:)

L, Ann and boys said...

Awwww...glad Poppy gets to experience the Lego high ;) and Willow is available for all the snuggles Poppy can give her. She's been quite tolerant of all the attention she's getting.

L, Ann and boys said...

Daveana- the sweater is Gap, snagged it on winter clearance- yay robbins :D

leah said...

oh wow! those are some serious legos!

and i love your idea of celebrating saint nick early like that!

sandra said...

Awesome Legos!!! Gotta show my boys!!