Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring prep in the garden beds...

Readyyyyyyyyy or not...here come the garden posts...

last year our little boxes produced 58 pounds of food.  my goal was 20 because I was a newbie mama of garden boxes.  I learned a lot-and still have a lot to learn.  This year I'm planting way more little tomatoes and things kids can eat off the plant because they loved that last summer.  All the veggies our kids ate straight out of the garden went un-wighed too...la-di-da we actually grew more than 58 lbs technically! :D
 my seeds came in the mail!!!  Spring!
 very off topic but this bucket of ashes sat out on the porch for a long while and got rained on...I think we made lye.  The water is really slick.  Anyone have lard we can make some soap with?  Kidding (mostly kidding).
 These are cucumber plants...they are from last year.  I don't know if they are reseeded or are some seeds that got buried too deep and never sprouted until the soil was turned a few days ago.  hmmmm a garden mystery... judging by how many are all clumped together I think it may have reseeded.  I only planted six in one spot at a time.
 The dirt settled over the winter, as you can see, and there are TONS of roots in the dirt from last year.  No videos/write-ups I've seen on spring box prep talked about roots.  I took most of them out but don't know if you have to since they are dead anyway.  We added a lot of top soil and compost to bring the dirt level back up to the top.
 I added some of this and Jobe's fertilizer to the top soil.  I didn't add much though because I put all kinds of chicken poo on there last fall and think that should work some kind of magic.
Sigh...it's just beautiful...some of our homemade compost dirt...
 And...Luke let the hens out
Look how well behaved they are...staying only in the unworked boxes...mostly.  They got put back in their coop when they got into a seeded box. :( for shame...

Me being a dork...Adrian taking pictures of it...  "it's garden season-muscle up!"
 And then shoot...I had to stop because the boys had their first soccer practice (official first one got rained out)  Jimmy John's for dinner and our whole family looked on from the sidelines.  I guess we are pressed for entertainment. ;)  It wasn't even a game... :D
 when they got bored of soccer...
signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

5 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

wow, admire your ambition!

Ashton said...

Yay! We've pretty much decided that we'll be filling our pool in and I'm starting to think a lot about a garden where the brand new top soil will be.:)

L, Ann and boys said...

Make sure it's a sunny spot! But considering it used to be a pool...I would think it is. ;) ;)

sandra said...

Ahh lovely post. We tripled our garden size this year!! Already got sugar snap peas, lettuce and onions planted!! Saw you got jade green beans.....the absolute best green bean out there! Long straight beans that are nearly the length of my forearm!!!

L, Ann and boys said...

Jade are favorite for sure. :) I planted another kind and the seeds inside got so huge my boys planted them and grew more beans. :P Not really the idea... :D ha