Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Day One in NYC...

A day before we left...my first cousin Caleb and his family were driving through and we had the (on the fly) pleasure of hosting them for the night.  I haven't seen them in a long time and they had no idea we were flying out within 48 hours of keeping them...so great to see them again. :)  We got some really good micro roasted coffee out of the deal too. ;)
 first areal look at central park from the plane
  These pictures are very candid and don't have great filters on them...sorry in advance for that. :)  Our flight was only an hour and half so we we had lots of time on day one to hit central park.  It was super nice out...until it started to rain later in the day.
I loved all the random musicians...
couples selfie on Bow Bridge...it seemed like the "it" thing to do so... ;) We did not, on the other hand, get a selfie stick, which seemed like the other "it" thing to do tourist style.  Also, this is pre bright pink lip balm and getting my black hat out of my bag.  These seemed to be cool NY things to do based solely on a new york mom blog I read.  But I eased in slowly and mostly just for pictures sake before tackling the art museum. ;)  Not much of a lipstick girl to be honest.
I got a little box of travel cards on clearance and used a few on our trip.
 I wanted to go out on the pond in one of the boats, but they still had them stacked on the banks not ready for rental yet.
 This lady was a local and we got some fun advice from her over lunch.  She said we found the hidden lunch spot at the boat house, so we would be fine. ;)  She also told us to go see China town and Little Italy if we liked exploring random places.  Kind of like seeing time square...crazy, but you still want to at least see it.  So we put it on the list.
 bye sunny little side lunch porch :)
 We went into the Metropolitan Museum of Art...then we walked out because Luke really isn't into art museums (or crowds...like why did we go to NYC...?) and would rather explore elsewhere (anywhere else really)...then it kind of looked like rain and I thought I would regret not going in for just a little while...so we went back in... :P  The bag checker people got to know us pretty well...
 So...the guard guy over there is sleeping...his head kept bobbing...
lets just see if I can crop in on that... (I can't blame him... I would last 5 min)
 So I snapped a picture with this cat thinking it might be against the rules but with the guard guy sleeping it would be simply hilarious.  No flash of course...don't want to damage the art or wake the guard. ;)  I felt like such a rebel...until we found out you can take pictures of whatever you want except for the traveling displays.  ha-Luke was pretending he didn't know me across the room which was more hilarious than posing with a stone cat.  The guard slept through it all...
One of many rooms like this... I become overwhelmed rather quickly and tried to focus in on a few things that moved me instead of trying to appreciate it all...which was quite impossible.  And now that I think about it...that's pretty much how all of New York is.  It's so vast...you have to focus in on little things to really relax at all.
 I took pictures of things that made my imagination start spinning... I totally imagined this chariot up and going with amazing horses which was pretty cool...
 Pictured this around some girls ankle with dark eyes and braids...
 There were dents in this helmet.  Luke thought fatal ones.
This guy was really good. :)  I thought it was super cool that they had painters, sculptures etc working in the museum real time.
 The image that captured my attention most...I can't tell you exactly why...It made me think of the afterlife of souls.
I think I learned about this painting in school-it nagged at my memory...I don't really remember fully, but I think it's known for perfect spacing or something.
 This made me stop too... there was nothing there...
 Then I saw that it had been temporarily removed and had been a half figure of an angel.  I liked it that I got to imagine the angel myself...

 And then of course the rain started right when we left the museum and my shoes were feeling not as comfortable as I had remembered them after walking all day.  Blasted ballet flats betrayed me.  I ended up getting some shoes the next mooring with great comfort success...which seems to be how new yorkers do shoes since they walk miles.  I don't remember seeing any heels the whole trip.
 killing time in the castle with lookout over the park while it rained (don't ask why I'm posing like that...I have no answer, but these are the little steps up the lookout a few flights up).  It was actually cozy feeling in the little fortress.  As much as the rain was annoying...walking back through the park, it was so quiet and all the green was SO green and everything smelled earthy and fresh.  The birds started singing again and it seemed like we were the only ones in the park.  Which of course Luke really liked. ;)
We lucked out finding a really great place for dinner without researching it a ton.  We assumed it would be pretty easy to find good food in NY and didn't stress it too much.  We passed this place a few times walking to and from the park.   We got in early before it filled up when they opened for the evening.  Really really good food; some of the best I've ever had.  Small portions, explosive flavors.
starter
pallet cleanser...this was new to me.  Stuff just showed up at our table between courses.
 my pouched fish with roe
Luke ordered an Italian wine-it settles well with me for some reason :)
We had probably 10 different people wait our table that night... crazy
walking back to the hotel for the night...
signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Love reading about your trip! We were in NY in March but with all 3 kiddos, so our trip was a LOT different than yours! haha!

L, Ann and boys said...

I'm sure! :) Still fun though I'm sure :)