Saturday, March 14, 2015

Fashion prep for NYC

NYC trip is fast approaching!  Super excited as we haven't traveled anywhere (just the two of us) for a while.  Some would say that NYC is the fashion capital of the world...it's made me consider what I should pack a little more carefully.  I'm very practical when it comes to style trends and I usually consider less as more, so it's hard for me to narrow down outfits for a trip like this.  I also have a great fear of trying too hard and really missing the mark badly...I'd rather just have a simple t-shirt on than have that happen. :)  So I thought it would be fun to post some fashion pictures to illustrate what I like, what I don't like-feedback via comments welcome. :)  Let the fashion post begin.

NOOOOOOO........ I will not wear beige or jumpsuits! I just won't.  How could this look so bad on someone so fit and sweet looking.  She is basically all one color expect for her shoes and that's totally what happens to me in this color too with my pale skin and lighter hair.
I'm pretty sure this is what Luke thinks I'll make him look like assembling outfits for him to wear sightseeing on the streets. ;)  ha The jacket's not bad...but the jeans (and styles similar)....no thanks. :)   
This sweater layering thing going on here is great though.  Not white pants in the city but...may need to get a light sweater for the Mr.
 Optimizes what I think I'll look like if I try too hard to stay on the fashion curve.  I think this girl is really cute...but the top and the pants are so busy and so loose billowy...and the shoes are bright as well...and her earnings are big....and I don't like the sleeve ending length...I don't have a clue where I'm supposed to look first.  Like I said before...I'd rather be seen in a black t-shirt than this.
 I do like this dress for seeing grandmas childhood home.  It looks like dresses I saw her wear in pictures (although hers always had sleeves) and has a vintage length.  It could be ruined with bold shoes since the length is quirky but...I really like this a lot.  I don't like the bracelet in this picture though...it seems too chunky-my eyes keep going to it.
This is what I fear I look like in dresses with sleeves (longer than cap sleeve)...most times it makes the outfit look tight and ill-fitting because my shoulders are pretty broad.  And the pattern of this dress...?...is is like space...? The high neckline I'm not loving on her (maybe if her hair was down so it didn't look so stark but then it would blend it because everything is so dark I guess).  This is an example of kill the dress shoes/boots for me.
leggings...with warmers and odd matched shoes...and then the puffer jacket is huge.  So many versions of grey...again...no idea where to look first here.  In her defense, it looks like she's trying to grab something to eat on the way home from the gym.  I'll give her a break, but I'm not packing any tights/leggings.
 But I am packing running shoes/clothes for central park. :D  Wootwooot
No... gathered waist band...really...?
 yes...
 No...because everything else on you must be perfect to pull it off...
 no...odd length (for my legs at least) and wash...
 Nope...for same reasons I won't do jumpsuits...
 Yes...I love asymmetrical 

9 comments:

smw said...

This was a fun post. I love the 'grandma' dress. :)

Aubrey said...

So fun! NYC is one of our FAVORITE cities!! We've been there 5 times in our marriage and always have a blast. Fortunately for me, the majority of times we've went it has been winter so a big coat over my clothes takes the pressure off. ;) Have fun - save some of your shopping for there! :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Aubrey-I should shop there...but I'm thinking Luke won't be a huge fan. ;) We'll see :D

leah said...

this is super fun! good luck packing. three cheers to asymmetric styles - i've always been a fan!

emilykate said...

You'll have to let us know what you come up with!

L, Ann and boys said...

I plan to take a lot of pictures as per usual when we go anywhere...so hopefully I'll be in a few and can let you know if I landed some fashion disasters or blended with the crowds okay. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh ... you'll look absolutely adorable in anything and I"m sure Darling MR. will not be too worried about what it looks like ON if you know what I mean:-P Yay! So excited for you guys... can't wait to see the pics!

- Lauralee

T and M said...

what a fun post! i'm actually a cinched waist fan, but it needs a fitted top & different shoes. i loved the asymmetrical dress...probably my fav. Etsy is my favorite place for asymmetrical tops & dresses, but not all my finds there are within budget ; )

do you have a fun accessory or pair of shoes packed? i think those can make a reliably-good outfit vacation-worthy : )

L, Ann and boys said...

Mandy-

That's so true :D I just ordered a necklace from Living Mosaics (fundraiser thing) that i'm thinking could bump up an normal outfit to vaca status. Too true. And the pictures of clothes I posted and liked are sadly not on sale...so I won't be purchasing them but hopefully find something similar in my closet or TJ maxx ;) the hunt is all part of the fun right? ;) so the cinched waist thing...I could see it working... I think it's quite cute on the model-but I think I need lankier legs or longer upper half or something because I always think I look terrible in that type of skirt. Maybe I'm trying on cheap ones...that wouldn't help at all.

Laura- you're hilarious... "ON"... :D haha what in the world. Miss you by the way.