Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thin Mint copy cat with honey...

Luke brought home thin mints from work.  I like thin mints.  I can't eat them because I'm not eating "refined" sugar.  Blah...  SO I made these and I'm telling you...they may be better than the ones the girl scouts are delivering.  So good.  The pictures could be better, but since I don't advertise or anything like that on this blog, it isn't a side job... so lame phone pictures will have to do. ;) ;) ha

chocolate recipe:

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil (not fractionated/solid at room temp: 70 degrees)

put all of that in a sauce pan and warm up until the coconut oil melts and everything combines well.  Don't walk away for long as the chocolate and honey can scorch if temp is too high and it's not stirred now and then.  It doesn't take long to warm up and melt.  Once blended add about 20 drops of undiluted peppermint oil or more if you like it stronger.  You can taste the chocolate off the spoon until it's right...a good excuse to eat it I say. ;)  Then you just coat butter crackers with the chocolate and wha-la!  you have a thin mint! :D

Only...it wasn't quite so simple. This is what happens if you try to dip the crackers and put them on wax paper.  Hmmmm that's how I made these before with melted chocolate chips and it worked fine...so trouble shooting was in order for the easy to melt coconut oil based chocolate.  The solution is a muffin liner. 

 I ended up stacking two crackers instead of one (bigger cookie-yay!).  Since the crackers are kind of airy, they separated and had a nice even chocolate center without me doing anything but dumping the chocolate over the crackers. They float up and distribute without help.

 This time of year, I let them set by putting them out on the porch for about 10 minutes, but if it's not freezing out, they need to set in the freezer.
 Look kind of like a peanut butter cup-but I'm telling you, they taste just like thin mints. :)
 They are bigger than thin mints too...so there's that advantage ;)
 nom-nom-nom is the only caption I can think of for this image. :D
 I store them in the freezer like so:  
Hope you enjoy if you try them! :)
 signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

6 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

genius.

I LOVE mint so I must try these!!

L, Ann and boys said...

haha, hope you LOVE these too. It think you will.
AnRene`

Ashton said...

Yum! Bring some this weekend!:)

emilykate said...

I would love to make these!

Shana said...

Yum! I've made the chocolate version of these and they were delish... I will have to try this bigger and better version ;) Thanks for posting

Rachel said...

Can't wait to borrow someone's peppermint oil and make some soon :) Thanks for another great recipe!