Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Can you make a tea ring without sugar...?

When I get cold...I want to bake.  But I'm still doing the no refined sugar challenge and wasn't sure what that would look like.  The boys and I watched the British cooking show on PBS and they wanted to do a sweet bread.  So the challenge was presented:  cook a tea ring without sugar.  Could it be done?
 Used this recipe with honey instead of sugar
 I always wonder if the bread machine will actually make dough at this stage...
But it did indeed make dough...
 The thought was to put butter and whipped honey with cinnamon instead of brown sugar and cinnamon...no recipe used for this switch...just winging it here.
 rolled up...
 Pulled into a ring...


 raising in the warm oven
 hmmmmm....first problem sighted... honey melts when it gets warm.  Good thing I used parchment paper, this would have been awful to get off the pan.

 In then end...it was like eating dinner rolls in a tea ring shape. :)  Still good, but I wouldn't say it was a tea ring.  I wonder if thick fruit spread would have worked better.  That may have run all over too.
 There was a little bit of honey flavor inside...
 This was the biggest problem.  Burnt honey on the bottom of the tea ring.  It actually didn't taste super burt all the way around, only in places the honey ran out.  And burnt honey doesn't taste like yummy burt sugar on top of custard...it was kind of bitter.
 So...it would seem it's better to just put honey on bread once it's baked.
signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

5 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

An impressive endeavor! :) It really looks good!!

Linda said...

I have used apricot jam, coconut, nuts and raisins in a tea ring and it is very good. Don't know that you would miss the sugar that much if you just used butter and cinnamon and then layered the toppings of your choice:)

L, Ann and boys said...

Thanks Linda! I appreciate it. My google search didn't turn up much in the way of alternate recipes :D

J and A said...

Your post had me craving yeast breads, something easily made when we are "snowed in" down here! Curious whether you consider coconut sugar "refined"... It's not quite as fine as granulated sugar, but I wonder whether it would've fared better in the oven?

L, Ann and boys said...

I have some coconut sugar in the pantry...I haven't been using it but I'm sure it's not much different than honey glucose wise. :) I wonder if it would have melted as well. ;) ha I LOVE yeast breads when it gets really cold out. :)