Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Muffin Makeover

This is an old recipe my mom used when I was growing up.  I have memories of her making these from memory like it was no big thing. :)  When I copied it down out of her recipe book, it was called "Twin Mountain Blueberry Muffins."  While there are many good recipes for blueberry muffins, I keep coming back to this one.  I've tweaked it for my no sugar challenge and thought I would share because I thought they were every bit as good with honey instead of white sugar.  And the addition of the vanilla is always a winner in my book.

Can't have sugar Blueberry Muffins:

makes one dozen good sized muffins-I typically double it to have a few left over

preheat ovan 400 degrees F

2 cups Flour (could use almond flour here for bonus points, but I've never tried that.  Spoon into measuring cup to make sure the flour isn't packed too tight making the muffins to dense/dry)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1-2 eggs depending on size
1 cup milk (I used unsweetened whole fat yogurt dumping in most of the clear liquid on top, if the yogurt is thick, you'll need half milk half yogurt so the batter is wet enough)
Slosh of good quality vanilla (maybe a tablespoon or two)
2 cups blueberries (don't forget to rinse them if they were frozen without washing like mine)

***Note on baking powder measurement: My recipe card is all a mess because I crossed out the tsp measure indicator and made the little "t" a capital because 3 tsp = 1 tablespoon.. but I should have left it at 3 teaspoons though because I think it keeps the powder less dense to scoop out the teaspoons. :)  I called my mom to make sure I had this right before proceeding any farther recommending her recipe.  Wooooow...if we were on the metric system....

Combine dry ingredients.  Add all the others but the blueberries.  Batter may need a little more flour depending on humidity.  The batter should be pretty thick but still wet, somewhere between cake batter and biscuit batter.  Coat blueberries with flour and stir into the flour mixture.  Be careful not to over mix-if there are a few places that still have specks of flour not mixed in, don't obsess over mixing them all in.  Just fold in until mostly blended and there are no big pockets of flour mixture.  Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm when you tap in the center of the muffin and golden brown on top.  If not sure, poke a knife or toothpick down the center and it should come out dry with crumbs.

Little cheats:  I melt the butter in a large mixing bowl, add the other wet ingredients...then I just put the flour and other dry ingredients on top.  I mix the dry to blend it together trying not to mix in any of the wet on the bottom of the bowl.  Once the dry portion seems mixed, I fold into the bottom mixing in the wet.  Saves a few dishes and counter space.  I never dust the blueberries with flour.  Who has time for that? ;)  Your batter may have a few streaks of blue from the berries if you don't dust them...I don't find this to be objectionable. :)  Of course you can go crazy and put cinnamon sugar on top or even put butter with cinnamon sugar...but lets be honest, that's cake and this is a muffin recipe. ;)
signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

7 comments:

emilykate said...

Nice - I love blueberry muffins but always feel a little disappointed with recipes I try. Thanks!

Jenny Gutwein said...

An.. So you really mean a TBSP of vanilla.. It seems a tsp is more of a normal vanilla addition?

L, Ann and boys said...

Emily-hope you love these. I used the Euro whole fat yogurt from TJs and think that gave these a nice boost too. I little bit of a tang. :)

Jen-yes a Tablespoon or more. The original recipe didn't have any :)

I think lemon zest/juice could be good in these too if the recipe gets old. I'm kind of loyal to the old school recipe though. ;)

Rachel D. said...

Can't wait to make them :)

J and A said...

Sounds yummy, and the picture got me craving... I might have to make them today. Yikes for being pregnant! It'll be a nice, healthier change up to my consumption of energy balls though (if you can do dark chocolate, I recommend those- they use honey too)! :)

Is the blueberry flour dusting to prevent streaks or to make sure they all don't sink to the bottom? I've come across a lot of recipes where they call for chocolate chips and other things to be dusted to prevent them from settling during baking.

L, Ann and boys said...

oh...that may be the case Amber. I've never heard of that. I didn't dust them and the berries seem to stay up in the batter okay but maybe if the batter is more runny then they sink. :) Not sure...

emilykate said...

Made these tonight...really good! They were a great addition to our dinner soup.

I skipped the flour dusting of the blueberries because of laziness...they maybe ran a little but wasn't a big deal. :)