Thursday, January 22, 2015

Life in pictures...

Still going strong on this no refined sugar thing.  It's been surprisingly smooth sailing once I got over the initial two weeks.  I have episodes of feeling very tired sometimes, but I usually need water or something to eat to perk up again.  I am buying quite a lot of honey though as you may notice from the size of that half gallon jug. ;)  ha  I wouldn't say I'm lacking in the sweet department... per say...
If interested: 
Melt together in a sauce pan: 3/4 c coconut oil, 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 c honey, 2 tsp vanilla.  Pour into lined muffin molds and cool to set.  Add a dollop of peanut butter of your choice and flatten it out a bit.  Add a thin layer of chocolate on top until it's evenly distributed among the cups.  Cool again and keep in freezer as they melt rather quickly. Vey good right out of the freezer though, so no waiting for them to soften up when you want one. :) 
 Gisella kept pointing out the door at these saying "Cook it!  Cook it!" ha

 I wanted to know how long it took to clean the coop... It's been about 4-6 months since I cleaned up in there.  I waited for a warm day and gathered the gear...
Time stamp for start...
 It's been so cold that our golden comet has frost bite on her comb (the red thing on her head) even with a heat lamp on 24/7!  Crazy cold temps at night.  She's still laying an egg every day though crazy girl.  All of our other breeds in our coop have very small combs for cold weather climates...which is proving a good thing in IN lately.
 We used fall leaves for deep bedding in there...

Thrown on the garden to compost in through the spring...
 Done... about 45 minutes to clean the whole thing including the run.  Not too bad.
 I've had some energy rushes being off sugar...I'm organizing all the closets! :D ha  Luke the neat freak is kind of loving it.  I normally don't act like this unless I'm nesting (which I'm not currently ;)
 Christian my crazy kid...
 and he did this over and over...trying to break his leg...
 When asked what they were doing "harvesting ice"- got it, whatever keeps them outside for a while.
 all parents think their babies are the cutest in the world when they are sleeping...
 Gi has been talking!  "Cook it...ball" translated means "Hey dad, I'm going to smile really cute and then you will cut, peal and take the white stuff off this orange even though mom doesn't want me to eat it in my church dress."
 she of course got her way...without her church dress on.  I found a white vintage high chair finally.  I've been on the look out for a while.  Plan to keep it forever...it should last that long I think.
 Raw milk yogurt.  It stays raw since the milk is only heated to about 100 degrees to get the cultures brewing.  The texture is quite thin-it's basically drinkable yogurt.  
(This is "dangerous" to your health if you don't know the difference between rotten milk and cultured milk when it's done.  It's pretty easy to tell the difference in my opinion, but this isn't pasteurized yogurt.  The milk should of course be from somewhere with very strict bacteria testing)   
 And this yogurt is also quite spill-able.  YAY :P  This is after Willem "cleaned it up" ;)

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

No comments: