Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I thought...

I could can tomatoes real quick at 9:30... pm...
 (sidenote...most of these are from my sis-in-law...but a few are from our garden too. :)
 10:30...ish...still peeling dumb tomatoes...
 could have left them whole...but I kind of have this theory that I should only take the time to can what I'll actually be thrilled to use...which in this case is diced tomatoes.  Not whole ones I have to dice when I have no time to do it. :/
 And so the tomato juice was flying.  I was on my second Andy Stanley podcast series at this point...not episode...series.  One episode on choices made me start questioning what I was doing dicing tomatoes quite seriously...
 The cutting board looking pretty clean all things considered, and a look at the fact I used a powdered citric acid supplement instead of lemon juice to keep my tomatoes from turning brown once canned. :D  At least I assume that's what it's for.  I don't know that much about canning actually.
 after having those tomatoes staring at me for several days...this is pretty site, even with all the clutter in the background. :)
 This image is time stamped for accuracy.  It's also when I thought I was pretty much done only to find out from the recipe I was reading on my sermon broadcasting phone that these diced tomato laden jars needed an 85 minute bath!  Seriously!  My boys were starting there first Classical Conversations tutoring thing in the morning, so I actually had to wake up...like a normal person to an alarm the next morning.  :/

And if you know anything about canning you'll know that they even needed a longer bath than that because the water is not nearly high enough on most of these jars...see, that's hard to pull off in a skillet.  After this over optimistic evening of unprepared canning joy...I may buy a big fat aluminum pot that I use once a year.  Skillets don't cut it-neither to small sauce pans for that matter.
 And then...after taking them out of their longer than a hour and a half bath...the little lid things still didn't seem to be sealed or whatever.  I didn't know that they pop down once they cool off.  So I went to bed thinking that it was all for nothing and that we would be eating a lot of tomato soup this week.  They were sealed in the morning though.  These will sit proudly on a visible shelf for a while before being carelessly eaten.  Now I know why mom would get annoyed when we ate a jar of canned peaches without asking first. :D

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

6 comments:

Kaitlin said...

What a process...but so worth it.
I gained a whole new respect for mom's efforts after reading this post. :)

Sarah said...

Officially impressed! :)

J and A said...

Love it. Didn't realize you could can without the a huge stockpot with lid. Interesting. Bien hecho :)

... Also, noting your mention of CC... is that what the boys are doing this year?

L, Ann and boys said...

Yes :D We had our fist meeting tuesday and it went really well. :) I may do a post on it...

T and M said...

oh this is funny. nice work! for me the urge to can or freeze always seems to hit right before vacation or some big life event. my poor husband!

this is random but i noticed you have a flat cooktop-my flat cooktop manual said not to use a canner or pressure cooker on it. wonder why? oh well it worked for you!

Mindy said...

This made me giggle! I have a pot of diced tomatoes in my fridge waiting for me to have time to can them...I guess I should do that this afternoon. :) I would definitely invest in a water bath canner - totally worth it!