Wednesday, September 10, 2014

First day...

 of school.  

It's only one day a week and I'm wondering how you moms that drop off kids every morning get into the groove.  Even starting at nine in the morning wasn't quite late enough for this mama who kind of loves sleeping in when possible (my excuse is bedtime after midnight regularly...canning tomatoes ;).  But...it was worth it.  I learned a lot.  Moms sit in on the Essentials classes so that they can teach the stuff learned for the rest of the week and to help with assignments.  It's pretty intense.  But Gisella napped and my kids didn't melt down in nursery-so I can't really complain. I lost my keys for an hour our so before finding them by Gi's travel bed on a coat hook.  One of those...I'm going to put these in such a safe place I'll never ever find them moments.  Not having the keys meant I didn't have the history binders I needed for the boys as they were locked in our vehicle...but the mood and spirit of this group is great.  I had moms passing me extra copies of stuff and we were all set in no time. ;)  It's an odd mix of high expectations for the kids and moms and a real understanding of every mom doing things her own way without judging the place a child is at in their educational journey.  Standing in line with the kids doing math drills was making me pretty nervous too.  Who wants to add numbers slower than their 11 year old...?...stress.  The setting is quite unique.

Christian making a "K"  
 Will wanted his picture taken with the shorts he picked out...
 This class was so cute :)

 learning their timeline songs
 I was running between four classrooms to listen in and hear their presentations- Noah was wondering what I was doing in his classroom.  Apparently he's at the age were he's way too cool for that. ;)


 "about me" presentations
 Their science experiment was like a flip book thing with an eye blinking. :)  All the ages did the same experiment, but Noah's older class drew their own picture to do it.
And that was the first day.  The boys are so excited to do their homework...for the first week.  We'll see how long that lasts ;) 

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

11 comments:

J Gutwein said...

Looks like a great atmosphere, An!

J and A said...

Thanks for deciding to post ;) Yeah, I've only heard positives on CC, and since I was raised with a classical education, I have definitely considered tossing Liam in it next year. As the year progresses, I will be curious to know your thoughts, as well as what you think with the kindergarten age... I've heard mixed feelings on that one because it's so intense.

L, Ann and boys said...

ya...it's a good fit for us I think. ;) Kind of like someone coming along and holding me up and giving me some major support. :D
There is a single dad that's got full custody of his kids that is part of our group. I was thinking he was amazing for handling everything he is and he asked me if I had been teaching the older kids on my own without a co-op or group up to this year and gave me the same look of overwhelmed respect back. I probably should have joined a support group earlier. ;) ha

L, Ann and boys said...

So...for Kindergarten I think it is quite a lot. But at the same time, it's such a gentle way to learn. It's kind of hard to explain until you've been to one of the 3 day practicums they do. Little ones have an amazing capacity to memorize. So they don't make them answer hard questions or put them on the spot, but they memorize a BUNCH of information. And then repeat it over and over in three year cycles until 11 or 12 so they have a lot of time to get it all down. It's very different than say, common core taught right now in public schools which is much more abstract and starts asking though provoking questions at an earlier age. Classical model says this is pointless until they get the basics memorized.

L, Ann and boys said...

*thought provoking

J and A said...

Thanks for such a quick reply. :) Yeah, I love the memorization aspect of it (or maybe it's kind of along the lines of, "I had to do it, and it didn't kill me, so it must be good for you"...), but I wasn't sure how much time it will leave for them to just be "boys" :) But, if I hadn't been given a free MFW kindergarten curriculum and been thrown out here completely overwhelmed, I still may have done it. As it is, a member of our small group is a teacher for CC. The nursery while you attend is an added bonus too.

Were you seeing a lot of common core with your material before though?

emilykate said...

Looks so cool. At this point homeschooling isn't super appealing to me but if we do, I'd definitely need to do something like this!

L, Ann and boys said...

I got a standardized test book for Noah to see how he placed for his grade last year. It was very much the new Common Core style and was listed as that. One question I remember was about how much money the US sends to Africa and how much we send to Isreal. The question was posed to the student why that was. And interesting question yes, but that's pretty abstract for a 5 grader not to mention controversial in a lot of ways depending on world view. Other than that and a math good of Common Core my neighbor gave us because their school used only one page (seriously, the teacher hated it that much). we didn't use it either. ;)

We only do memorization drills in the morning so far for an hour or so. And then the boys are back to playing. In the afternoon, we do other fill in school work that I want to do...if I want to do it. It's not too bad so far. :) But we are a week in...and I didn't start out using this for Noah in K...I waited until I felt like our family needed it. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

not math good...*book

Amber said...

Were in the midst of our 3rd year in C.C. ... and I am still loving it! I appreciate the accountability it provides, and it lays a great knowledge base for the kids. So glad to hear the first week went well!!!

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Awww. Looks like you guys are having fun! I see familiar faces there. :) We joined a different group this year but miss our Fishers CC family like CRAZY! You are in with such an amazing group. Kind of wish I could be there with you guys, too. :( You're going to have such a great year. We need to get together sometime!