Wednesday, July 2, 2014

issues with Bikram...


I heard something about Bikram being taken to court by one of his students the other day. SO... I looked up and watched an interview with his responses to the the alligations this morning (old clips).  The guy is totally insane (in my opinion).  Below are a few Bikram quotes to illustrate why I'll have trouble attending anymore of his copyrighted classes.

“I always forgave my students, like Jesus,”
he compared himself to deity on several occasions in the short few clips I watched (another example was "some people found fault with Jesus too")... hmmmmmm....  

“When in Rome, I must do as the Romans do. When in America, copyright and trademark.”
Bikram took beneficial, centuries old yoga poses and said they were his own since he put them in a copyrightable sequence.  While I think there are major benefits to his sequence and the heat combined, I think the money has gone to his head and it is rather expensive to attend a class with the copyright costs added.

“I should be the most honored man in your country.”
really...?

“I’m in show biz. I entertain people.”
this may be a way to shrug off all the offbeat things he says...but he still says them (I didn't include the most offensive quotes I read because they are so off color-and some degrading to women).

In the end, it's a bummer I feel so convicted about the practice because it really helped me regain some core strength and make my hip feel normal after having Gisella.  I went into it thinking it was what I made of it.  Like some people pray over their kombucha before drinking it and it's extremely spiritual to them...and I see it as a beneficial fermented beverage with probiotics in it...period.  I thought I could separate the two in Bikram yoga too...but now I'll have all these odd ball quotes running through my head even with the very sweet instructors I've had (that are not like Bikram at all).  It's summer...all I need to do is air up the tires on my road bike instead (with a few back bends thrown in ;).  When winter rolls around again...I'll need to figure out a way to stay thawed out though. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of Holy Yoga or Yahweh Yoga?

Might be something to look in to if you really like it!

-K