Sunday, June 8, 2014

making liquid dish soap adventure...

Why use liquid...well because it's easier to squirt liquid on an icky pan than lather up suds from a bar of soap the old school way.  It can be less wasteful too, if the bar of soap is in a place where it slowly melts away down the drain when it gets wet.  Why make it when it's cheap to buy?  A very good question.  I'm constantly looking for things to try around here.  My kids love to watch me tinkering and my brain doesn't freak out from boardroom from 3p-4:30p (which is when I generally start looking for something new to do...when I should be making dinner plans). :)  This soap smells very very good...like expensive mint soap for bath/body.  That's worth something when scrubbing a plate with rock hard egg yolk stuck to it. :P  You can reuse bottles over and over by refilling (and glass bottles are just pretty to look at aren't they?).

My first attempt was a bit off.  But I did end up with soap...more like jello soap, but soap none-the-less.

The recipe I used from this blog
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup grated bar soap (castile)
  • 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons-2 Tablespoons washing soda (baking soda cooked on sheet at 400 for an hour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
  • 15-40 drops essential oil (I didn't add any oil because both castile soaps had peppermint added already and it smelled very strong and fabulous without)

yum-yum looks like cheese...but it's most definitely not -so don't let the babies try it when not looking. :)
 basically heat the water and dissolve the bar soap over low heat and then mix in everything else, essential oil last once cooled.
 the recipe I was following recommended putting it into a bowl/wide mouth jar for two days, so if it was too thin, more washing soda could be added over low heat, or if it was too thick more water could be added.  I disregarded this advice and put it directly into an olive oil bottle and balsamic vinegar bottle...with thin necks.  This choice was a pain in the behind later when I had to get it back out to remix.
 within the hour, it was solid like jello.  What did I do wrong?  While it looked pretty, it was nearly impossible to dispense out of the bottle to use.
 It wasn't until later (like two days later) I noticed the liquid castile soap wasn't opened/used.  What?! And why do I need to add liquid soap to make liquid soap anyway :/ ?  
 I think I added too much washing soda too, the blog I read said if using homemade, use around 2T because it doesn't thicken as well.  Um.... I think it thickened.  I (slowly) sloshed it out of the jars into the blender to break it up (recommended on recipe blog for lumpy soap-which I should have known wasn't my main problem).  I had to use a chop stick to get it broken up enough to come out in chunks.   (that's right...took a picture with one sort of soapy hand-boooya)
 It doubled in volume.  Still had no idea I was missing the liquid soap.
 the texture was light and creamy, like whipped cream.  So I bottled it like that.
texture was oooow-la-la
 I thought it would hold it's whipped texture
 but it got thick again and was hard to pour out the next day...like jello again...with whipped cream added.  Washing soda continues to thicken the soap as time goes by.
 small amounts worked great for hand and dish washing though...if I could get it out of the bottle.  And the mint smell....mmmmmmmm
 finally, befuddled by how it could be so thick, I looked at the recipe again and didn't remember adding the liquid soap.  I added it all back to the blender again and fixed that.  I had already added a little water to dilute it down a bit though...so my soap needs two shakes to remix before using as it settles out a liquid layer along the bottom.  This recipe isn't supposed to settle out (and with the longer ingredients list...it better not if/when I try it again).  I love white and I love mint-so I love this soap enough to stay loyal to the process.  


signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

4 comments:

teresa said...

thanks for sharing the many tips you discovered in your soap-making. i might give this one a try. i do like using dawn for cutting grease. but would expect the castille to do well, too.

emilykate said...

Oh I thought you meant liquid hand soap when you first posted those pictures on Instagram. Cool. Dish soap is something I've stuck to my Seventh Generation because my tries of homemade didn't clean well at all. Maybe I'll give this ago. Love Dr. Bronner's peppermint!

Walking by Faith said...

Oh Ann! I'm so glad for your input!! I've recently been trying this for the first time and have been so discouraged. I gave up making mine pourable. We just scoop it out of a container with a spoon and the hot water in the sink melts it down. I like the blender idea!!

Oh - and I read your deodorant post a while ago and wanted to share - I throw coconut oil, arrowroot powder and baking soda in the food processor then stir in tea tree oil and any other essential oil desired. We definitely have to put it on with our fingers, though. It's pretty solid in the winter when our house is freezing. And it is still solid in summer - just soft. I haven't even tried deodorant containers because of the coconut oil being so melty at the slightest warm temp. I make a super huge batch once in a while, and we love it. Bryce uses it too. Certainly not an antiperspirant, though!!

L, Ann and boys said...

Teresa-I think it works really well so far. :)

Emily-the peppermint smell is amazing. :D yum- And I may run into a problem dish situation later, but so far, it has been just as good at cleaning with the brush I use as anything else I've ever tried.

Erin-I've been researching food processors...I just have a good blender but it's not the same for certain situations. If we cool our house to 74 the deodorant stays pretty solid. The bees wax helps I think. I'm currently using it in an old deodorant stick dispenser, but have a lidded container for travel as I don't trust it to stay stable in the car during travel etc. :) Coconut oil is amazing...and very easy to melt. :) And no, not an antiperspirant I agree, but I rarely wear full sleeves in the summer months and don't really mind that so much. I just don't want to smell funky and it takes care of that. :) I never used to wear deodorant when running or exercising because I wanted to sweat it out, so this is a big improvement on that. ;)

And yes! Try the blender. it may add just enough air to make it pourable for you. :) If you add water, it may need a shake before using, so I would just try the blender first. the air makes it less concentrated...but I tend to use too much of stuff so that's not such a bad thing for my heavy hand. :)