Friday, June 13, 2014

Garden update June 13th...

What the beds look like right now at a glance...(the gladiators are bonus ;) my poor beets in the very first bed there to the right have been pecked nearly to death by our chickens (when the boys let them out and don't remember to watch them :/ ).  So much for the blissful visions of them eating only nasty bugs off the plants in perfect tranquility.  I've got to give them credit for knowing where the nutrient dense nutrition is though. ;)  Hopefully they pull through, but it's the most shaded bed too, so they've had it rough.
 escarole is happy
 bush beans are putting out flowers before the pole beans
 Noah's sun flowers :)
 if nothing else...I can apparently grow kohlrabi :)  I don't think Luke even likes it ;) ha
 a few apples...
 cutting old tights to train tomatoes to the trellis
 I have no idea WHY I planted so many carrots.  I think I just wanted to plant something and it was too early for other things. :P  I'll plant less of those next year I think.
 string bean looking for something else to climb on...
and a few days later...smart string bean :)
 Gisella's hair is growing too! :)
 later planting of Jade green beans for staggered harvest-these are up on in the deck boxes with herbs
 if you say "outside?" to Gisella...she does a happy dance and lunges for the door :)
 "It's warm...."
 "I'll be at the little library mom" :D  reading where the sidewalk ends ;)
 Check this out: the house casts a shadow and moves across the kohlrabi...can you guess which direction the shadow moves...?

 What I'm learning about tomato plants and how to train them up.  You have to remove the "sucker" branches which grow out between to good branches.  pictures below are all "good" branches off the main stalk.
 This sucker branch is really little, they can get very big but I've removed most of the big ones.  See it there in the middle.
 Riiiiight there.... 
 I just use my fingers to pull them off
 for a picky picky (not perfectionist...I literally pick things too much ;) nature personality like mine, this is great fun :D
 another example in front of my index finger.
 and up she grows...
 Even if I grow nothing...all the effort is worth watching the kids soak it all in. ;)  I have a goal of growing 20 pounds of food though this year to start.  We'll see what happens. :)
 that's my lettuce and that's our egg :D  I sure didn't grow the avocado though- ha ;)

signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

6 comments:

Ashton said...

I LOVE that little library idea! Oh my. And for the gardens, do you have trouble with rabbits? I really want to have a garden in our yard and I've even picked out a spot for next year, but I'm afraid deer and rabbits will obliterate it. Our yard is fenced and even that doesn't keep them out.

Sandra said...

Ashton, we have oddles of animals here. Country living with woods....we put a chicken wire around our raised garden to keep out small critters and we use liquid fence around outer edges to keep away deer. The first two years we used liquid fence faithfully and our third year we have been deer free. I used it once right after planting and haven't used it since. It stinks but it works!!!

Ashton said...

Thanks, Sandra! I've never heard of liquid fence.

Sandra said...

Liquid fence comes in powdered form which is what we use. The first couple years use faithfully and yes we still had a stray deer pull a plant or two but keep at it and apply after every rain. I went through a bottle each year. This year I used once so far. The fence also helps with deer population too. Hope you can have success with a garden next year

L, Ann and boys said...

Ash,

I think it's odd the rabbits aren't eating it with no fence! I've seen them around too. My kale had two plants nibbled on and I think it was a rabbit, but it's growing back. We have a cat owned by neighbors on either side of us and they are the stalking kind...I wonder if they hold them at bay. Either that or the fact our boys are out there playing pretty much all day-if I were a rabbit, I'd steer clear too. ;) I decided to wait on putting up a fence until I knew if I needed it or not- since the plots are so small it's easier to weed without the fence. There are spray mixes( I've never tried) with hot pepper and or essential oils that deter them too. We don't have deer so close to the city, but sounds like liquid fence is your best bed. We used it once when our peony plants were eaten on, it smells so bad. it's fox urine or something. but apparently it works :P

L, Ann and boys said...

I've been much more annoyed with raccoons digging for worms in the beds. The worms like the nutrient dense soil we put in there and they messed up some of the beans...but they seemed to spring back quickly.