Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Bar Keepers Friend challenge...

One by one I'm trying homemade products to replace my standbys (but the shampoo I just made with castile soap and coconut milk didn't float my boat...still a product buyer on that one ... sigh :)

So...Bar Keepers Friend is truly my friend since I have a ceramic sink...it's white...every stain shows. It's really annoying, but really refreshing when it's actually clean.  And I love white, so I'll deal with it I guess.

But can my fave sink/counter cleaner be replaced?  We shall see... we shall see...

The contenders:

On the right is a mix of 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt, 1 part Borax and an unmeasured dash of cream of tarter because I read once that its' good for scouring.  I also added orange essential oil for fragrance.  It smelled really good.  I don't like the way Bar Keepers smells, so that's big points for the homemade stuff.
 Awww...poor sink.  Every time I wash  our cast iron pan or pots it gets those grey streaks along the sides and bottom.  They don't come off with soap and water...they require a scrubbing agent.

 left side cleaned with Bar Keepers...i know that stuff works already...
 I used both cleaners with this sponge...now for the other side
 Well shoot...the light changed.  The homemade stuff required a tad more effort on my part with the sponge and scrubbing...but it cleaned the stains pretty much as well as Bar Keepers from what I can tell (different sides of the sink make an imperfect comparison I've concluded).  Also, ignore what looks like a slight line in the middle between the two cleaners, that slight stain never totally cleans off no matter what cleaner I've used.  I may try lemon juice later...

verdict: I'm swapping Bar Keepers for the good smelling stuff :)



signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

3 comments:

emilykate said...

Baking soda is so awesome. I can't even count how many things I use it in from laundry detergent to deodorant, etc. I find it satisfying to walk down the detergent/cleaner isle in the store and never buy anything there. :) Nice find!

L, Ann and boys said...

that's probably my favorite part...walking into a store and skipping whole sections/isles (the ones the smell the nastiest too). It's very independent feeling. ;) I'm annoyed that I need to buy bar soap and washing soda to make dish soap that won't separate though. Seems like I'll be spending more to make it than I would to just buy it. :/ Do you have any recommendations on a simpler solution that works. I may still try it the bar soap way at some point. I can't help myself when it comes to trying things... ;)

J and A said...

Interesting. Thanks for the info once again. I have a ceramic sink too and love my BK- but you definitely have to go the powder route, as the liquid is kind of a joke. It's not worth making this close to the move, but depending on my next sink, I'll have to keep this in mind :) The abrasive salt must help though as well, as I would try baking soda every once in a while to be "green" and it usually required at least twice as much to do a less then satisfactory job.