Wednesday, May 14, 2014

81 degrees and muggy...

Warning: (updated May 16th 2014) do NOT put this deodorant on broken skin...aka...just shaved skin.  It will start to burn after about a minute and it will burn a lot.  Wait awhile...soda is like salt...so it hurts on micro tears on skin.

The first warm evening of the year...the air conditioner didn't work...which led me to the deodorant recipe I've been meaning to try.  I'll spare you the details on that motivation... ;)  Lets just say that not wearing traditional deodorant with aluminum in it (consistently) for the last few years caught up with me... natural brands I've tried were a complete joke.

First step, (after bathing with some good soap that is ;) was taking an old container's labels off and pouring boiling water through it to clean it out.  The chemical smell was intense while cleaning it.  :P bleck...makes me wonder...

 grating beeswax, it didn't come off my grater in the dishwasher. :( should have chopped it...
 the recipe...it only needs the wax in the warmer summer months to help it stay solid- don't leave out the tea tree oil or it doesn't work well (or so I've read).
 double boiler to heat wax and oil gently
 almost there...
 add corn starch (I used arrowroot) and baking soda
 makes a slurry
 pour (quickly if it's cold in the house, or it will set) into cleaned out deodorant stick container.  Since it was so hot in our house, I had to put it in the refrigerator to cool.
 trying to twist it up the next day I realized, even with beeswax added, it was too soft set to use a stick.  Moved it to a glass container.  Considered stealing Luke's container because mine had holes in the push up bottom part...
 it's hard to see...but it's just an X of plastic at the bottom but otherwise open.  So the bottom came right up through the slurry instead of pushing it up.
 Our air conditioner was fixed the next day and the stick worked just perfectly with the little bit I left in there.  I would say a traditional container works up to 75 degrees or so.  From 75-on up, you'll probably need a little pot style container and you'll have to use your finger tips to apply.  The downside to that is you have to wash your hands really well afterward as this stuff has clinging power. :)  You also must be gentle putting this on.  There shouldn't be a lot of rubbing going on because the baking soda will irritate your sensitive under arm skin if used abrasively.  I think that's probably why this stuff doesn't have a cult following (yet)...the texture is a bit gritty, you've got to watch the melting point since coconut oil melts easily and you've got to develop a knack for putting it on right. 

if all that sounds terribly annoying...this may not be for you.  But consider the upsides too.  It's chemical free, it's cheap to make, with the small amount used-it lasts forever (or close to it ;), it works! (based on two days and nights in a house with no air...I haven't taken it on a workout test yet), it allows you to detox like you should without the funky smells, it doesn't stain or ruin clothes (at least it hasn't yet), it smells really clean and customized if you add essential oils to your liking.


signature1 photo signature1_zps2d44e4ca.jpg

6 comments:

Mindy said...

I've been wanting to try this! Glad to know that this recipe works!

teresa said...

I'm with Mindy on this. Appreciate your tips. Thank you.

J and A said...

Ok... I'm almost out of deodorant and have had this in the back of my mind for the past few months now. Curious whether you still use it, have any further advice or changes or anything else you can help me with before I begin my journey ;) I'll probably still use a normal one in my travel bag as a "just in case", but would love a homemade one for everyday use.

L, Ann and boys said...

I'm still totally using it months later. I've got a pot container in my travel bag in case it would get hot and keep my normal twist up stick in my bathroom bag at home. I love it that I can put it on right out of the shower and I don't feel like a chemical bomb. I just feel clean and bad smelling bacteria free. ;) I've learned less is more when applying because the coconut oil will show up yellow on clothes if it rubs off on them. I've only had this happen on tank style tops when I slathered it on too thick in a hurry. This recipe is very similar to an expensive brand I tried awhile ago online called "funk paste" or something like that. Only this is very cheap to make in comparison. I love it enough that I may make it for my sisters for Christmas if that tells you my loyalty. I now smell Secret and Degree deodorant on people around me more intensely because I'm not used to it now on my own skin which is an interesting side note. But for awhile, I still had normal stick deodorant in my workout bag. I found it a few weeks ago going through the bag and realized how long it's been since I even thought of needing it. I'm sensitive to BO smells so I can say with confidence...this stuff works if you use it all the time (and shower/bath regularly ;). You may still sweat if it's really hot though as it doesn't block your pores via swelling like aluminum containing brands- it just doesn't smell funky if you do sweat. Best wishes with it! :) I thought it was fun to make. :)

Joel Virkler said...

Thanks for the quick comment :) Couple more quick questions... did you just get your beeswax off amazon? And it's 3 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of beeswax (I'm guessing you packed it), right? That's what it looked like from the picture but wanted to make sure :)

I haven't used aluminum brands in forever (my dad didn't allow us to except on special occasions because of the aluminum), though I don't know if I shower "regularly" (technically I shower when I get a chance-- or if I can sneak one in after a workout) ;)

L, Ann and boys said...

yes to the 3 teaspoons coconut and 1 Tablespoon beeswax. I got the beeswax at a health food shop several years ago and when I checked it, it was still good. That stuff must last forever because it still smelled good. :) And I packed it yes. Our shower schedule sounds similar ;) ha Let me knows how it goes! :)