Wednesday, March 5, 2014

life in pictures...

Little trooper plugging his nose for his dose of fermented fish oil...they get chocolate as a chaser.  Surprisingly easy to get them to take this nasty stuff that way. :)
 jury is out on whether this stuff is worth the cost...this is our first bottle of the goo.  And no...it has no resemblance or even essance to the flavor of chocolate cream as depicted on the label.
wash a few dishes... wash a few fresh eggs...this is oddly normal now. haha 
Proud new owners of a herd share of dairy cows in northern Indiana.  This means we legally get six gallons of raw milk every two weeks.  I want to make yogurt...but since it's never been heated, I can't bring myself to do it since I'll need to cook it up to 180 degrees.  :/  I'm sure once the newness wears off, I'll try it. :)  It tastes good...and has a kind of fresh squeaky feeling as the after taste on the pallet (similar to super fresh eggs whites).  
 Noah, the budding poem composer ;) haha
 cousins and pudgy arms
 Luke and I made chocolate souffl√©; sadly, I've had better.  it was "good".  Needed more melted chocolate in my estimation... or maybe salt to make it pop.
 vanilla ice cream...
 daddy's little bunny

"mom, I want to keep him"                       

                                                                     ...oh man.... :/

yours truly,

Andria

12 comments:

Sarah said...

cute post. Little G is getting so big (such a cutie!).

Good for you and your herd share. We love our yogurt - you should give it a try :)

Heather Hoerr said...

I got the liquid orange flavor (not the gel) of that brand of fermented fish oil. still very fishy, but slightly orange flavored. I add it to Beck's smoothies and C's fruit or squash baby food and they don't seem to mind. maybe I'm not giving them a strong enough dose. :)

Walking by Faith said...

We make yogurt with raw milk - I just heat it between 100-110. I'm not sure if this is a bad idea?? :) Others I know do it as well. But also, heating your own raw milk slowly and gently to 180 is not nearly so damaging as the ultra-pasteurization that occurs to most commercially sold milk. So I've read. I'm sure you know this as well. Some raw milk yogurt people still so decide to heat to 180. But we've been heating to 100...and we're all still alive!! :) A friend just told me about a yogurt culture from Cultures for Health that is a reusable starter culture. No more continually buying starter or using store-bought yogurt to start the culture. Yay. I always seem to kill perpetual cultures, though. So, that's enough yogurt rambling from me. :) I hope you enjoy your raw milk.

L, Ann and boys said...

thanks for the tips all! :)

smw said...

I've thought of buying that brand of cod liver oil. I'd love to hear more. were you addressing any specific health concerns? if so, let me know the verdict.

L, Ann and boys said...

smw- not really any specific concern for the kids other than immune support and dental health. I've brushed too hard on my lower teeth in the past and have three teeth with slight/medium receded gums as a result. It's not a visual thing since they are on the bottom, but if it gets worse, I may have sensitivity to hot and cold etc which I don't want. :) The oil with grass fed butter mix is supposed to support the tooth enamel a lot...I don't know how. I'm not expecting healing miracles...I just don't want it to get worse. I use a spin brush on low now too...that may help more than anything since I brush to hard without thinking about it. It may help skin tone too...but I think a can of sardines on salad has shown more dramatically affective from my observation. ;)

teresa said...

Enjoyed your update, cute photos. Keep writing poetry, Noah. Like your honey thoughts "So gold it's almost money. So sweet it's almost funny. It's almost ... is so funny. Let's all say hooray to the creation of honey." Can you help me with the 3rd line? I'll check back.
Thank you.

L, Ann and boys said...

"It's almost liquid it's so runny
Let's all say hooray to the creation of honey" ;)

You were able to read that really well with the slant and Noah's light pencil marks :D

Joel Virkler said...

jealous of the raw dairy. Have always wanted to do it, but with two in the house that can't do dairy- well, it's hard to justify the cost. :) Also, I think that's a good brand of fermented fish oil. It is pricey. The lemon flavor isn't so bad though. I was doing it for dental health too. Are you still doing your ghee?

L, Ann and boys said...

Amber- ya, we use ghee quite a bit for stove top cooking and sometimes I put it on toast because it tastes so so good. :) We are using olive oil, grass fed butter and the ghee pretty much exclusively for everything in the kitchen now. I even use olive oil for baking. :) coconut oil sometimes for random things, but not as often.

L, Ann and boys said...

ghi-not ghee, haha that's how trader joe's labels it (phonetically) :) ha

L, Ann and boys said...

and I was correcting my spelling not yours! I just saw we both spelled it the Trader Joe's way ;)