Thursday, February 6, 2014

no-shampoo fail...

So...it's working great for so many people.  But from the comments I've read, the people that don't jive with the diluted baking soda/vinegar method of washing hair are those that aren't using traditional methods of washing to start with.  I wasn't looking for a hair rescue plan; I like to try things and always wonder if I don't.  I got the "try it" bug a few days ago and- uhum...as my darling husband likes to say, since I "have the patience of gnat" (I don't even know what that means...but anyway, his choice of example not mine) I just grabbed my little can of soda and ACvinegar I use for my skin and headed for the shower.  I figured I could dilute it down to approximately the right concentration by winging it.  You know...like cooking...only this time with chemicals.  I made a little paste in my hands and massaged it into my roots only.  Then I brushed my wet hair in the shower until I felt like it was all out.  Then rinsed with...some sort of diluted mixture of vinegar and water mixed in my hand several times brushing it through my hair.  I stopped again when my hair felt super duper soft and rinsed.  The results were quite something.  Every speck of dry skin on my scalp was removed and my scalp looked squeaky clean...shiny in fact..like my counter top when I clean it with soda.  My hair on the other hand looked like I had rubbed texture paste all through it and teased it with a comb for volume.  Lion's mane came to mind.  I could have done an up do with a foot of poof in front easy with no hair spray.  The ends were wavy, like I had gone swimming in the ocean and sun dried.  I didn't take a picture for you...but something similar to this (cough-without the beautiful pearls, makeup and lovely skin):



So, I was like....okay.  Give the transition phase it's due.

But then I looked closer in the mirror.  Is my hair darker?  It is.  Why would it be darker if I just scrubbed the oil out and didn't use conditioner?  Hmmmmm.

*Light bulb*...I think I just stripped my color (non-bleach) highlights off.  Yep.  I think I did indeed.

So I googled it: "Soda stripped hair color"  you know, because that's how you find the answer to all life's important questions.  And what do I find?  Here's a snippet copy/paste

"Remove hair dye with baking soda

Baking soda is one of nature’s most natural cleaning products and you can also use it to remove hair dye as well!"
Oh, and in addition to that, vinegar was another option on this site's list of natural options.  I don't wash my hair everyday, I don't use shampoo with silicone and sulfate...it's been several years since I've used those kinds of products.  I saturate my hair with olive or jojoba oil when needed to hydrate it.  So I think the problem for me was that my hair quit making excess oil a long time ago.  A deep clean was fine and this method would probably pan out eventually with a new PH level for me...but the color stripping is a deal breaker.  I'm a highlight loving kind of girl and buying a bottle of natural shampoo now and then is going to have to work for now.  I'll recycle the bottle-promise.  Luke thinks this whole thing has been quite amusing.  I guess that's worth something.  Well that and satisfying my curiosity.

yours truly,

Andria

9 comments:

emilykate said...

Ha, oh no! Yeah, sounds like your "paste" was on the heavy side. I'd stick to your tried and true methods. :)

Sarah said...

haha, that's so sad it stripped your color off! :( that's a downer for the middle of winter! live and learn, huh?

L, Ann and boys said...

Emily, I wasn't trying to be a rebel completely. I read on a blog that the paste method was okay to if gently rubbed into the scalp. Could have been the brushing in the shower...could have been that I do everything a little to vigorously in general. I don't know. It didn't "hurt" my hair...I just need to schedule a session with my fave hair colorist. haha

Walking by Faith said...

I'm currently washing with baking soda! I did months ago, but my hair got *so* dry that I switched back to shampoo and conditioner. The thing I love is that I only have to wash every 3-4 days when I'm using the baking soda method. I have to wash daily when using shampoo because my hair gets so, so greasy. But I NEED to find a way to hydrate with the baking soda. I tried coconut oil, but it was a disaster. Any tips for conditioning with oils? I've been googleing for all natural conditioning treatments. I might give egg yolks a try this weekend. I might try homemade mayo sometime too. I think the vinegar and egg yolk combined in the mayo could be a winner. How do you do the hydrating with oils. *How do you get it all rinsed out??* :)

smw said...

this struck me very funny. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

I do olive oil or jojoba oil (sometimes honey) light on the roots, more saturated to the ends and leave it however long I can...sometimes take a bath while I'm waiting on that. Then I wash like normal with Shea Moisture shampoo and don't use conditioner for that wash. The first time washing through it won't lather up at all. I do it a second time until it doesn't feel greasy and lathers a little (that brand of shampoo doesn't lather as much in general). Hot water strips more oil off too...so if it's not washing right, you may need a little more heat. After two washes, my hair looks a little darker because it's more hydrated and takes a little longer to dry. It usually takes a day later and another wash to be "normal" for me but it shouldn't look heavy or over oily right out of the shower. My hair really soaks it up though...so it might depend on hair type. Each of my hair shafts is very very thin. I've never used egg, or avocado or yogurt. I tried banana once...probably won't do that again. Our shower was a mess. ;)

Heather Hoerr said...

that story cracked me up! literally, I was laughing out loud at my computer... thanks, that felt good. :) but that is a bummer about the hair color...

J and A said...

Thanks for the laugh. Although you should've put a warning at the beginning of your post, as I just woke up the baby :/
I've had the itch to try this out too, but I'm a penny-pincher enough that I want to use up the bottles currently in the shower before the move first :)

T and M said...

oh my. this is too funny!

i had a hair fail once involving a "dry shampoo" recipe that ended up looking like horrific dandruff, so I've been leery of homegrown hair stuff...but now my interest is piqued again : ) baking soda here we come!