Tuesday, February 4, 2014

HOT

It's so hot.  Oh, you haven't heard people saying that in the midwest lately?  It's understandable if they aren't referencing a Bikram yoga studio...which is 105 degrees and 40% humidity.  Gracious sakes alive, it takes mental energy just to sit on a towel in there.  So why do it?  I don't know.  I've only gone twice now and am gauging the benefits.  I can say that it's one of the hardest things I've ever done...which is attractive in a weird kind of way for my personality.  I like it that I want to leave the minute I walk in.  I like it that I'm dripping sweat the whole time.  I like it that I feel dizzy at points and the instructor is calmly saying "that's normal...reach farther...keep your head up".  There are so many mundane ways of doing things that it's refreshing to be pushed to my limits in a controlled environment.  I never felt more mentally stable and bodily strong as when I was working out in the 100 degree August weather a few years ago for a race...and this feels very similar to that (only even hotter still).  The soreness all over, but nowhere in particular, the red face, blood pumping hard, the deep breathing and the good deep sleep following.  It's going to keep me going back for more.
    I wouldn't call myself a yogi...if I had a personal sauna at home I would probably enjoy doing a Pilates routine in there just as much...that being said, I think the group does help keep you going with some positive peer pressure.  And a good instructor keeps you motivated to push passed your limits more than a video.For.Sure.  Glad this studio recently opened in Indy. :)  


 (And if you are interested in a 5 min video summary of Bikram :)




5 comments:

Sandra said...

Never heard of it....very interesting!

emilykate said...

Oh man, good for you. I'll be interested if you notice some clear benefits!

L, Ann and boys said...

So far, I'm just real sore ;) but after just two sessions, my left hip is more aligned and I've had less tightness along the inside of that leg. It's been bugging me, so it's a pretty clear improvement already :) My goal is 10 sessions this month and then I'll reassess if I want to actually spend money on 10 more sessions. :)

Amy Gerber said...

oh lands, i am slightly jealous that i live in little bluffton, indiana as opposed to a larger city. for years i've done power yoga dvd's, but always wanted to try bikram.
As crazy as the winter has been, maybe we'll get an incredibly hot summer and it will be like a classroom in itself ;)

L, Ann and boys said...

If it helps Amy, I think it would be more wonderful outdoors. I kind of wonder if I'm inhaling fumes from the floor since it's so hot the rubber might be melting. haha ;)