Wednesday, January 8, 2014

ear candling

 ear cand·ling
ˈi(ə)r ˌkand(ə)liNG/
noun
  1. 1.
    a form of alternative therapy in which the tapered end of an ear candle is placed in a person's ear while the other end of the candle is lit, in the belief that earwax and other impurities are drawn out of the ear canal by a partial vacuum created by the candle flame.

    We did a little experiment. The boys love fire...and experiments...so win win. For the record, I've had my ears candled. I found it relaxing...but always wondered if it was legit. This is a high quality, lavender candle, held at the proper angle (well, it should be as upright as possible actually, but it's close) over the sink, never in someones ear. So here we go:

    You can't see it, but the first minute or so, a thin stream of smoke was coming out the bottom of the candle until the heat drew it up. I can't imagine the smoke would be good for the ear. So if you do choose to candle, I would hold it until the smoke stops coming out the bottom.
 this is about as far as you can burn them if they are in your ear.
 The grand reveal.  
 Results are identical to if it's in a person's ear.  I won't be spending money to have this done at a spa, that's for sure.  It may vacuum out some stale air from the ear canal...but that's not ear wax, it's just plain old wax with a smoke tinge color.
And here is a picture of the snow this morning...or wait...what is that?!?  A crane----standing on one leg in our drive way.  This weather is really throwing things out of balance around here. haha

and because of my new years resolution to use my good camera:





3 comments:

Sarah said...

so interesting!

The Crane...haha!

emilykate said...

Okay I've totally heard people talk about those and wondered if they worked. Thanks for sharing the results. :)

Walking by Faith said...

I've done ear candling before - I thought it was pretty worthless. Haven't tried it again. What a fun experiment to do with the kids! :)