Thursday, November 7, 2013

You have to...

enjoy it…

I keep thinking this thought.  Over the last few years, I think I've been learning it slowly-slowly.  It's been a concept I'm reliving more vividly with a newborn.  It's not that overly warm syrupy type of idea that seems to unrealistically croon "potty training can be so delightful if you look at the bright side of following a two year old's erratic toilet schedule around all day." or "making dinner every night is always inspiring and wonderful if you just take the time to plan little"…ya---right.  No-no, not that.  It's more like "Oh my word…my two year old wondering around in whitey-tighties is hilarious and I just want to grab him and hug all that soft not as chubby any more little person he is on the couch for a minute." or "as much as I'm not totally loving making spaghetti…again… I am looking forward to listing to the boys odd ball stories during dinner and I actually kind of wonder what will happen to Laura Ingalls-Wilder tonight and the crazy girl Nelly at school when we read tonight."   Not to mention Almonzo…it's a real thriller I'm sure you know. :)

There isn't enough time in the day to recover if I pretty much detest everything I'm doing waiting for a break.

There isn't enough time to recover if my kids don't think, deep down, that I'm enjoying them…not just loving, enjoying some little part of them that day.

And while I don't always relish a task I'm intrenched in…there is always satisfaction in a job well done when it's complete.

And since a post with all words can be rather dull… ;)

I have no trouble enjoying this dessert-I can't remember if I've posted it before, but just in case not (thanks Heather H) :D



Berry Dessert (a light take on cheese cake from cooking light)

1 c fresh or frozen raspberries (or other)
1 c all purpose flour (I've used whole wheat successfully)
1 c sugar (can get away with 3/4 c)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c melted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 8 oz container (1 c) plain low-fat yogurt
2 T flour
1 1/2 tsp (1 lemon's worth) lemon zest

coat 9" spring form pan with spray or butter
thaw berries and drain if very juicy
combine 1 c flour 1/2 c sugar and baking powder.  Add melted butter, 1 egg,  and 1 tsp vanilla.  Stir until combined.  Spread onto the bottom of the springform.  Sprinkle with the berries evenly.  Combine yogurt, other 1/2 c sugar, 1 egg, 2 T flour, lemon zest, and 1 tsp vanilla.  Stir until combined and pour over berries evenly.  Bake 350 for 30-35 min or until center sets.  Chill approximately. 2 hrs.

3 comments:

Klint & Sarah said...

love this post - thanks for the perspective!

emilykate said...

Totally like your balance. It's always hard for me when mom's pretend like they are seriously THRILLED with every part of their day with their kids. But I love the reminder to go ahead and enjoy some of the mundane because of what it's producing.

J and A said...

Amen! Thanks for this reminder :)