Monday, October 28, 2013

More than a list of rules...

edited Oct. 29th after seeing "it should get predictable instead of should never… :/  oops.  I shouldn't post late at night apparently)

I'm reading though the Bible in a year…and before you think I'm going for a pious flaunt ;)…lets just lay down the facts.  I've read Genesis 1-3 and short psalm this fine fall morning…any guesses on where that puts me on the schedule? ;)  Day Numero uno- heehee.  I'm always pleasantly surprised to find a new way of looking at a familiar chapter.  Like this morning; I'm reading along…the earth is created…it was good…(it should never get predictable…a thought in the mind of God and- there were penguins that somehow keep eggs warm on their feet at -40F and somehow precariously keep their species going on the poles-but anyway-I'm human) and then I read that things were so good in fact, that Adam and Eve didn't know the difference between right and wrong-you know-so perfect it should be considered sci-fi but I have faith it was real.  Also something I've already read.  But here it is…the question that was new:  If Eve didn't know right from wrong, what was her transgression in eating the fruit that looked so good?  What was it?  She didn't know any better right-like a child reaching for candy.  No.  Her transgression is the same as any of us.  She loved herself.  She loved herself more than God.  Adam loved Eve (who he saw as part of himself) and himself more than God.  Lucifer loved himself more than God…so it must have been a familiar sell.  It wasn't an arbitrary law that was sitting in the middle of the garden as some kind of "follow the rules" trap.  It was how our young earth worked and loving self wrecked it.  It always does.  And even though Eve didn't drop dead the second she touched the fruit like the serpent assured…her body did, for the first time, start to fall apart at that moment, just as she had been warned it would.  SO.  Eve and I are not very different.  As a little girl, I skipped about loving whoever created the trees and butterflies.  Things got more complicated when I stared seeing fruit I wasn't sure was meant for me.  But it's not a list of do and do nots.  I inherited crumbling DNA…yes it means death is sure.  But seeing repentance as a gift from a loving God changes everything.  Seeing death as a way out of this mess into something perfect again changes everything.  I don't fear death-because no matter how many times I start to reach out for self pleasing every-things, nothing, in the end, pleases me so much as the mystery of Jesus.  Nothing.  So I know it's going to be okay.  If I'm with the power that created a humming bird-it's going to be just fine.  If believing it like a child that hasn't learned about gravity by definition yet is peculiar, I suppose I'm okay with that.

here's to hoping I can complete day two on the reading plan. :)

3 comments:

T and M said...

interesting thoughts here....the fact that we are dying of our sin disease as humans makes "new BIRTH into a LIVING hope" through Jesus (I Peter 1) that much more amazing!
Mandy

smw said...

i liked this post yesterday, despite the typos. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

;) I edited what was in those parenthesis and…well…it's not what I meant after changing it. I get a little dyslexic at times. :)