Sunday, August 4, 2013

The boys names...

In response to the question on where the boys names came from...

Noah-

Now lets be clear that this was before the Notebook movie and I don't/didn't watch "ER"; when I looked on babynames.com in 2003 it was (if I remember correctly) somewhere in the 50s on the top 100 list.  So not super rare, but I didn't know any Noah's myself at the time.  And then...



BOOM...

Luke always wanted to name his son Naoh (if he had a son) and we had agreed he would have final say on boys names while I had final say on daughters names (imagine my poor odds on that deal ;).  I held veto power for the short list though; I felt no need to use it for the name Noah as I really liked it.

Adrian-

We were managing apartments on Purdue campus.  I showed an apartment to a guy named Adrian who was a complete gentleman and the kind of person you like right away.  Sold me on the name and Luke liked it too.  Done deal.  Michael (middle name) is a family name on the DeLisa side.

Jude-

He was actually called William (great grandpa on Mathew side) for a whole day at the hospital and then Luke came back the next morning after sleeping on it and said it just had to be Jude (our other choice).  See above agreement on why he got the final say on that after my veto power whittled it down to those two names. :)  Jude...is such a Jude.  Good job honey. Scott his middle name is for Luke's dad.

Christian-

He was almost Beckett (which is his middle name) but when he was born all blond haired and with nearly translucent skin...we just had to go with Christian.  It's a family name as well.  Beckett is English and Luke's mother's maiden name "Powley" is also quite English.

Willem-

Was almost Ellis (are you seeing a theme...Ellis is his middle ;) but I just had to have my "little Will" and after five boys I got one. :)  I found the name "Willem" which is the dutch version of William, while flipping through a name book at Barnes and Nobles on a date night.  Ellis is a reminder of Ellis Island and the stories I heard from grandparents about immigration to the states.  Grandpa Mathew showed up at the docks with his shoes around his neck instead of on his feet so they wouldn't wear out. :)

So there you have it Sarah :)

9 comments:

emilykate said...

Fun post! I'm praying my girl name doesn't become popular before I can use it. :)

Rachel said...

I so thought that Adrian was a rearrangement of the letters in your first name. I had myself convinced of that, actually! And I just LOVE hearing name choices - thanks for posting this, so precious!

Daveana said...

Oh how fun! I love hearing how people choose names!

Sarah said...

THANK YOU!! :) Loved reading this post. The meaning behind Ellis beautiful.

L, Ann and boys said...

Rachel-haha...I actually didn't notice all the same letters until after we used the name. It kind of is my name sake of sorts. The name means "of the Adriatic" which is a body of water along Italy-but we didn't know that when we used it either. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Sarah-you're so very welcome :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Emily-specifically pray that a darling movie character doesn't hit the scene with your name ;) heeeheee

L, Ann and boys said...

Daveana- glad you enjoyed the run down :D

leah said...

hilarious. as i was reading this post i thought, "my sister will love this!"... not knowing that she was the one to ask you about it until the end!

really fun to hear the meaning! each is very special!