Monday, August 19, 2013

Mini homesteading...

Wikipedia says homesteading is: 

Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. It is characterized by subsistence agriculture, home preservation of foodstuffs, and it may or may not also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craftwork for household use or sale. Pursued in different ways around the world

Hmmmmm...I don't feel like a legit homesteader...but that's okay.  I would self characterize our home as living in the spirit of it instead.  I live in a big city with access to pretty much anything I would ever want to buy within a mile or two and it does affect my self-sufficient nature to be sure. :) 

That being said- one of our hens started laying eggs this past week and it is SO fun for the boys (and me) to see the process come full circle from hatching the chicks this year for school.  Ya, I can buy a dozen at the store for $2, but it's fun all the same.


 And our tomatoes/peppers would have been more plentiful had I set up the drip line in July...but I was kind of busy wanting to have miss Gisella Rene` at that time...so I'll have to be happy with our sparse little crop...and weeds too. :)
next up, Vacation pictures...

3 comments:

emilykate said...

So fun! Excited to see vacation pics and updated ones of baby girl...I bet she's changed so much already!

Aubrey said...

We've been talking about getting chickens - can I email you for advice?

L, Ann and boys said...

Emily-she has! Booohooohoob;)

Aubrey- sure thing...but I'm far from the expert on the topic...turns out chickens are pretty hard to kill. The boys have taken care of them mostly which says a lot. ;) I do have some tips I read up on for keeping them laying eggs over the winter since they stop without a heat lamp. Also, most people (like myself) don't know that hens only lay an egg every day for the first two years of their life and then slow down. So...you have to decide what you will do with them and rotate in new chicks for steady egg production.
my address: schafera at gmail dot com :)