Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Gisella's name...



I promise not to write an essay on the topic- but think it's fun hearing how parents come up with the names they choose for their new babies...so here goes.

Gisella (jee-zel-ah) is the Italian spelling/version of the name Giselle.  Why not use the typical French/English version?  Luke wasn't crazy about it.  But when we looked at the Italian spelling and the long "e" pronunciation at the beginning, we were both fans.  Once we both like a name, pretty much the name game comes to an end because it's hard to get us both on the same team. ;)  Rene` is my middle name.

Other things I like about the name:  It's a name sake for Luke's mom Gigi.  Also, a name sake for my Italian grandmother Carmela and a great grandmother on Luke's side named Ella.

Some fun facts:

The name is from the Germanic word "gisil" meaning hostage or pledge.  It was a descriptive nickname for a child given as a pledge to a foreign court.

The name became known to the English-speaking world when Adolphe Adam's ballet "Giselle" hit the scene in 1841 but wasn't regularly used (in English) until the 20th century.

I like the meaning "pledge" as the word congers up all sorts of emotions in me related to having a daughter.  "Hostage" also gets my wheels turning.  Having a girl has been so fun (all two weeks of it ;)...I'm seeing how much I want her life to be "good" and I want her to be loved and accepted in a way I don't think I worried about as much with the boys.  The need to be cherished is so real in my own life that I would imagine we are all hostage to it to some degree-at times more so than others...but still, it's a normal raw emotion to be faced.  Are we enough?  Are we accepted regardless of what we do or what we look like?  And just as I'm thinking through such things, I look at my daughters face and know I would accept her regardless of anything she can/will do.  I can't help it.  And that's the pledge Luke and I can give to her and the boys.  Remembering they are something different than us even though we are a family and to try to always give unconditional love instead of dolling out acceptance based on good behavior and performance.

5 comments:

Eric & Marissa Bahler said...

Gorgeous baby.. gorgeous picture! Glad you're enjoying having a girl (although we're not surprised ;))!

J and A said...

I love etymology, so I enjoyed reading this post. Also love your new cover photo. My friend had sent me something similar saying I needed to have a girl so I could do it. Love how your's has the arrows and bow. :)

Erika said...

She's so pretty!!

Sarah said...

So glad you did a post on this! I looove hearing the story behind the names. Now I am so curious...do u have meanings behind the boys' names? She is beautiful!

L, Ann and boys said...

Sarah-interesting question...I'll do a mini post on that instead of a comment ;)