Saturday, July 20, 2013

Gisella Rene` photo bomb and long birth story...

Oh ya...good thing I ordered a "pretty pushers" gown for the delivery.  I wore it for a grand total of 15 minutes and turned it into a complete bio-hazard.  But the gown had full back coverage and more length than the hospital offering, and when you are sitting on a tile bathroom floor delivering a baby, that's definitely worth the twenty bucks...if you know what I mean...you may need to ref the birth story below to know, actually. ;)
 One of the only pictures we have of the triage nurse that helped deliver 
 After transferring to a labor and delivery room, triage bed and all, the little lady and I got some much needed clean up.

 my mom arrived shortly after she was born before taking off for family camp with my younger siblings
 First look at "Luke & Andria's girl" ;)
 Since I didn't need the L&D room for delivery per se...I put on eye liner and changed clothes while they did Gisella's bath instead ;)  Heeehee (photo credits to my mom :)

 Her little mouth and face were pretty swollen from delivery poor thing


 I'm not fooled...he thought it was fun being the only Doc there to deliver.  Proud daddy smile :)
 Still a few hours into Friday morning...
 Friday late afternoon...things calming down



Birth story for Gisella Rene`

On thursday (40 weeks +4 days along and the day before my non-stress test and discussion with OB on setting an induction date I didn't want), I took two tablespoons of castor oil in the afternoon so I could take a second dose before bed since evening doses seem to cause the most contractions for me. In-between I went to the mall and walked for 90+ minutes because it was 95 degrees out and there was no way I was going to hit the sidewalks in our neighborhood in that dehydrating mess. I put the castor oil in the blender with a few scoops of soy ice cream, coconut milk and an ice cube to cut the texture and held my nose so all I could taste was sweet. Chased it with hot water. Helped the ick factor. :/ 

After the first dose, I headed off to the mall. Started having mild contractions while walking. I had some chocolate covered strawberries from Godiva...must have been funny seeing a very due to have a baby lady walking really fast with a bag of strawberries but-I was past the point of caring about appearances I guess. :D The contractions didn't stop but didn't get worse once I stopped walking and sat on a yoga ball at home for a while. Took the second dose around 10:30p knowing I would get no sleep because of it. :/ But I was committed regardless of the not so great looming consequences of possibly spending part of the night in the bathroom. So down went the second chaser dose (I kind of wimped out and dumped the last little bit of it down the drain ;). My mild contractions stopped right after. Very odd...like a creepy calm before a storm. With no contractions happening we went to bed shortly after 11. I had eaten only yogurt for dinner and wasn't hungry for much else. A good sign. ;)

I woke up at 12:30 with bad cramping. I couldn't tell if it was from taking two doses of castor oil for the first time (usually just take one) or if I was in later stages of labor because it hurt so bad. That's the problem with taking castor oil...it's contraction pain (I could feel my belly tighten) and intestinal cramping pain combined (I finally had to hit the bathroom for the first time that day...better at home than at the hospital I suppose) :/ 

I drew a hot salt water bath to see if that would calm the cramping at all. The tub was very comfortable and I hung out in there for maybe 45 min before it started to not feel so warm anymore. When I got out of the water, The pain was terrible once out of the tub and not having the water around me anymore. I started to freak out a little that the tub time had made me wait too long and quickly went to get Luke. I was getting shaky which means baby would be shortly following in my experience. We grabbed two bags I had packed and waiting and we just took off (Gigi was spending the night so we could just leave our kids sleeping thank goodness). We were to the hospital in 20 minutes and I still wasn't sure what my body was doing. I was paranoid that the severe cramping was just castor oil cramps because I still kind of felt like I needed to use the bathroom on and off as they wheeled me to triage. Tried to use the bathroom right when I got into the triage room but...I just needed to pee. I started to feel like the pressure may be the baby instead for the first time. The triage nurse was just ready to check me and I could not for the life of me hold still on the bed. I was wiggling all over the place and finally got off of it saying "wait wait, just a second, I have to use the bathroom." So the nurse with her glove on and held up waiting said "go ahead". I heard Luke say behind me "you have five seconds in there" because he had memories of me locking myself in the bathroom when nearly ready to deliver Adrian that still lingered. I left the door ad jar. ;) Good thing too because the next thing I knew I was pushing without being able to stop and...my water audibly popped. Luke hurried in scolding "don't have the baby on the toilet!" because he claims I said "Oh my goodness, I'm having the baby" (I don't personally remember saying anything). Too late...Luke held her so she wouldn't hit her head (I know...not ideal) and the nurse came in to help set me on the floor. Then the next contraction she was born and boy was there a mess. There was so much fluid all over the place it was crazy...it actually ran out of the tiny bathroom into the triage room. I can't imagine the mess if the delivery had happened in our car. Luke ran to get a towel etc because we didn't have anything to wrap her in...the nurse was holding her head/back off the floor kind of looking unsure of what to do...go get stuff...which would require putting the baby down???-she couldn't take the baby because she didn't have stuff to cut the cord. :/ I picked my baby girl up off the floor on instinct because she wasn't crying that strong at all and patted her back like I was burping her. We were such a hot mess. Her coughing and crying got a lot better and then the towel thankfully arrived via Luke to stimulate her breathing by rubbing her skin. The bulb syringe and stuff to cut the cord arrived with another nurse who finally heard all the commotion (since the nurse was just about to check me, all the doors were closed) and I, sitting in a puddle of total icky-ness, reminded them I had requested delayed cord clamping and it was still pulsing (I'm A- blood type and read an abstract about it's possible reduction of blood transfusion). To the nurse's and the OB who showed up and tried to squeeze into the tiny bathrooms credit, they were so sweet about it. With the baby doing fine, they let me take my time getting up and getting into the triage bed. No one tried to take the baby away from me, which was good since I'd gone into protective mama bear mode.

They moved my whole bed to a L&D room for third stage labor. Everyone was fine and things started to settle down. I started to feel the very happy emotions of having my baby in my arms safe and sound...as apposed to still being 40 weeks + pregnant. ;)

22 comments:

emilykate said...

Oh. my. goodness. I loved reading this.

And she is SO beautiful! Congrats!

Linda said...

Ditto what Emily said :) She looks like a girl too! So happy for you :)

Aubrey said...

Seems you always have dramatic births!! Glad she's here!

Heather Hoerr said...

wow - what a story!! glad she's healthy and you're both doing well after the crazy died down. she's a cutie :)

Dmasy said...

2452Lady, you do everything the most interesting way possible. I am glad you have strong writing skills so that we get to share with you.

Blessings to Gisella and all the rest of you. Love from us.

Dmasy said...

Sorry about that number at the beginning of the message. It was from the "prove you aren't a robot".

I forgot to say that we can't wait till me meet her.

Kristi said...

happy happy tears for you! congrats and thanks for the sharing your wonderful pictures and story!

bri said...

wow...Congratulations!

Erika said...

The photos are great! Looks like she loves the dramatic already! I'm with you though- I would hate to think of what the mess would have been like in the car! Loved reading this... even though I talked to your mom on Friday because I just couldn't wait to hear how it had all played out.

Sarah said...

lol...I'm feel like laughing and crying at the same time. I cannot believe this!! Oh my.

(now that it's over) what a memorable story you'll get to tell her one day!

Congrats - she is just beautiful!

Shana said...

She is so sweet. I love her name! You are a champ! Congrats :)

Mindy said...

Wow, what a story! I was so nervous reading it - it was a nail biter!

She is so beautiful and I LOVE that picture of your Mom getting her first look at G! SO precious! And you look absolutely amazing in those pictures - can't believe you just had a baby!

Kelli's Blog said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. What an amazing birth story. I will say...Gisella made her grand entrance into this world in full drama queen style. Go Gisella!

leah said...

i'd heard bits & pieces of this, but loved hearing it from you. WOW!

she is just beautiful, so happy for your family!

Bryce and Erin said...

Oh Ann! Your daughter is lovely!! I'm just so happy for you - and thankful that all went well. You know - you might consider homebirth in the future. *wink* What a birth story. :)

Sandra said...

what a neat neat story!! Congrats on your sweet baby girl. Oh they truly are a joy(especially after a load of boys)!!!

J and A said...

Somehow I had a feeling that with your previous boy deliveries, your daughter would want to make an even more memorable one! Congrats! We were so excited to hear from Scott about the birth while we were in South Bend. Can't wait to meet her :)

Megan said...

So happy for you- she's beautiful! A daughter- hooray!

Ashton said...

The pictures are beautiful! I wish I could have made it in time to take some before she arrived, but considering the way things went I'm just glad you got to the hospital in time.:)

Love you!
Ash

smw said...

that is a GREAT story. :) made me smile and laugh. so glad that you have your little girl there safe and sound!

Sara Huber said...

Oh my, so glad you got this down so quickly so you can remember the details. What a crazy and fun story to tell your sweet girl. She is adorable! Congratulations and hope you're all doing well!

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

She's gorgeous! Congratulations!

Loved the birth story, too. Al.ostler had Eric in the triage room, but not quite. Hooray for fast labors! :)