Friday, March 1, 2013

homemade baby food take two

So for this batch: A quart of freezer apple sauce (in the blender) about six peeled carrots, two parsnips (we had them so why not :) dried sweet cherries (1/4 cup), red lentils (1/4 cup) and 3 tablespoons flaxseed oil (source of DHA).
I kind of just start throwing veggies and something sweet into the sauce pan.  Apple sauce is the base that holds it all together.

Twelve of this size "squeezer" as we call them, hold one blender full.  I didn't put as much in this time and they closed easy with less mess. I had no trouble throwing them in the freezer since they are so flat.  The company sent me six more for free from the first blog post after I requested them. YAY :)
 This is another brand (squooshi.com) and they are super cute.  But they are bit more expensive than Yummi pouch and they don't clean as easily with the contoured sides.  The plastic seems thinner as well, so I don't know if they would last as long.  Cute for outings, but I probably won't order anymore.

6 comments:

J and A said...

Are those the ones that seal at the bottom? I thought it was nice that it had the spout at the top, but I'm iffy about them popping open at the bottom.

Glad the company sent you some free ones :) My next amazon shipment will probably have some of those in them

L, Ann and boys said...

Ya, the Yummi ones are positioned so they are on the side when you are squeezing them, the Squooshe ones (panda bear pictured) are on the bottom. I don't really think they would split open too easily though...they seal pretty tight and the pressure goes out the spout when squeezed.

Hope you enjoy!

emilykate said...

So ambitious...it kind of overwhelms me for some reason. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Emily...could it be you have a newborn. :) As you may notice, the pictures are all taken in artificial light because I did this after the kids were in bed. It's about 10 min prep and 20-30 min unattended cooking time, then 10 minutes to bag the baby food. Not too bad, but it's a project. I look at it like $20 sitting on the counter I can spend on something else and that helps. :)

emilykate said...

Well when you put it that way...:) I guess I keep forgetting when Henrik is old enough to eat food like that he'll hopefully be going to bed before 10 or 11.

katie said...

Hi! The yummi pouches also expand on the bottom, allowing them to stand upright and hold up to 6 oz. They hold considerably less if you don't expand the bottom.