Monday, January 21, 2013

The ever so trendy...

Fish tacos, Also from Cooking Light (that's a link in red...)

I went out on a limb making these for guests (my sis Kaitlin and Sam...so it wasn't too stressful) even though it was a new recipe and I've never made fish tacos using any recipe before.  Let the new cuisine thrill begin right? :D

I couldn't find purple cabbage at Trader Joes and didn't want to make a separate stop.  So white cabbage is was (I think it's more for color as the flavor is very similar anyway right?).  I shredded it very fine so it wasn't overpowering.
I also made some inexpensive Alaskan Cod to feed the mass of little boys, but Kaitlin liked that better than the more fishy flavored Mahi Mahi.  So it looks like any fish can be used based on that vote.  I pan fired the cod after putting olive oil on the fillets and rubbing them with panko bread crumbs.  The Mahi Mahi was grilled with Creole seasoning by master chef Luke. :)
 The star of the show was the avocado mayo with cilantro and lime in my opinion.  Yum yum.  These were surprisingly easy to get on the table and everything but the fish can be made ahead of time.  We threw the tortillas into a skilled to warm them up and bring them back to life and stacked them in foil to keep them warm.  Well worth the effort to do that.  These tortillas had chia seeds in them so that's why they look speckled.

After the meal Sam said he has fish tacos pretty much whenever they show up on a menu.  He also graciously gave these two thumbs up with his experienced opinion.  I can't remember ever having them before...so I have nothing to compare them to but the recipe will go into my keeper box. :)
Happy happy day to you :)  AnRene`

9 comments:

Kelli's Blog said...

This would be a favorite of mine. Looks so yummy! I love fish tacos!

leah said...

we love fish tacos! i yours look awesome!

Sandra said...

I kid you not....just last week nick asked me to try my hand at fish taco's. I went to all recipes and came back to nick with....they look to time consuming and have lots of ingredients. Guess maybe I need to try another site for a recipe. Nick would LOVE these!!!

Sandra said...

haaahaaa....just saw that Kelli commented.....guess her and nick must be related:)

L, Ann and boys said...

Ya, the Nick's must like their fish tacos. ;) Let me know if you give it a whirl and if you like that green mayo as much as I did. :)

Mindy said...

Oh, I LOVE fish tacos!! Gonna have to try these!

bri said...

yum! We love fish tacos!! To make it easier, I just use a bag of coleslaw mix-already shredded and ready to go! We also like to mix lemon pepper seasoning in w/ the bread crumbs or cajun seasoning. Another super yummy sauce on top is to mix mayo, lime juice and a little milk together. Sooo good!

L, Ann and boys said...

Thanks Bri :) That sauce is easier than getting out the bleder/food processor. :)

Andrea said...

That sauce sounds really good...love anything with avacado! We have used the jalapeno greek yogurt dip from costco for a sauce too. Matt likes things with a kick & i was suprised how good that sauce tasted.