Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My shoes are dirty...

But that makes me really happy these days.  I don't normally run when I'm pregnant.  In the past, I've always laced up my shoes and walked...and for good reason.  In knew if I ran I would be really sore and the wear and tear wasn't worth it.  So why am I running now?
I can't stop

My kids can be not so great all day...the house can need some serious help...the school day may have been a struggle...but my run is mine, so peacefully mine, and each deep sigh during is much needed.  While I think I would have paid dearly for running in the wedge shaped shoes I used to a few years back, bobbing up and down with each step...I haven't had any trouble with a smoother smaller step rhythm and slowing my pace so I can always catch my breath.  While the cold temps are rather depressing at times, I have no risk of overheating my core temp that's for sure. :)
I asked my obstetrician at my 14 week appointment if there was any reason I should stop.  She was a  great source of information and very encouraging.  The idea that the baby will "shake" while you run is not really what we imagine as they are in water. which still moves up and down when you run...or walk...but doesn't hurt the baby.  And there are always benefits to getting your blood pumping whether it's walking, running, swimming or just cleaning the house.  So...I don't know how long my shoes will be running before they slow to a nice walk in the spring...but for now, I wouldn't trade the sanity for the world.  The end. :)

5 comments:

Amber said...

I always switched to lap swimming pregnant and loved it. It was always nice at the end (the one place you didn't feel as slowed down by growing) but it was just a place to get inside my mind with God and take care of me. Totally get it.

In fact, I swam the morning Ava was born. I used to joke, though, that as I was swimming laps, no one really knew I was pregnant and I then I would pull up out of the pool and I'm sure some people looked twice. : ) Fun times.

Glad you're feeling good!

L, Ann and boys said...

Love swimming too. It's a smidgen harder to organize the haul to the Y though and running is filling in the gaps. Once I'm in the water...it's wonderful. :) And ya, I feel very very glad/blessed to be well enough to do so high energy stuff. It sure helps even out the hormones. ;)

smw said...

i can see how that would be very theraputic! i hope you can do it for a good long time yet!

J and A said...

Glad you are still running. Wish I had kept it up, but the first tri is always a rough one for me. But with my first I ran through 9mo, still putting in about 4mi/day... until I was scolded by one of our neighbors and told that if I'd just cool it and take a nice leisurely walk at night with my husband, my overdue baby would come. So I did that night, and well, Liam was born the next day :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Haha...that neighbor probably felt quite sage if you mentioned it or she saw you strolling. ;) walking is very nice the last few months for sure. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can relax outside...running kind of keeps me warmer too with is a bonus I didn't expect. :)