Saturday, January 5, 2013

Five friday...

prompt: opportunity

time: 11:29 am

I have so many different thoughts in my head right now.  I saw a picture of Adrian last night at maybe 3 or four years old and I almost cried.  Yes I'm a smidgen emotional right now, but the picture just really pulled my head into a long term time perspective.  What do I want for my kids?  What opportunities do I want to make available?  Not just which ones I want, which are the ones God wants to channel through me.  We are thinking about moving.  It's an opportunity.  For a lot of things I want for my boys.  Things like...looking over a field that has nothing in it but plowed dirt or corn.  Maybe some chickens and a few eggs for as long as I can stand it.  A barn.  An archery range without neighbors bringing back arrows they found in their yard (with mention of the fact they have a small dog ;).  Apple trees.  A pottery wheel and lessons on how to use it.  At this point I can see the list is kind of lacking in the education opportunity department....but is it?  Is it really?  You can teach math by picking apples or planting seeds.  Hatching eggs is better than seeing a picture in a book of an unhatched chicken isn't it.  Is it possible to spend very little and gain so very much.  It will take time on my part, but that's the best opportunity cost I can think of if it's going straight into their little persons.

time: 11:35a


3 comments:

smw said...

i think this sounds abosolutley lovely. i think real life learning is ideal. it sounds wonderful!!

J and A said...

I second the lovely thought. Of course I'm a city-convenience lover to the core, but the older my boys get and the more rambunctious they become, the more I want the wide(r) open space for them (or maybe it's just the fact that it was bitterly cold up here last week, esp after getting back from Phoenix!). Where is it at?

L, Ann and boys said...

New Palestine area on the east side. We weren't looking for properties, a co-worker of Luke's bought the land around his house and didn't need the existing farm house. He mentioned it to Luke knowing we had a bunch of kiddos to fill it up. And wouldn't you know it, I found out we were having a baby a few weeks later so I agreed to look at it. It's unique...but in a good way for our family I think. An old house and new house stuck together basically. :)