Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cookinglight lemon chicken review...

Here's a not so grand image off my phone. ;)  And the link to the full recipe at Cookinglight.

First off...it seems to me that light recipes will often throw in some pretty "fancy" ingredients...to add in some unique flavor pop in the place of richness.  I have no problem with that if it's reasonable.  This recipe in particular lists "dried currants".  I don't think Indy sells those anywhere.  Well, I don't know that for certain really-but I called Penzy spices where I got dried Juniper berries awhile back and they said they had no clue where to find them, so I didn't waste anymore precious time on that pursuit.  I subbed in a dried cranberry-blueberry-cherry mix and I don't think the boys missed the currants. ;)

This is the first recipe in my "new" motivational way of finding something for dinner.  Which boils down to scanning cooking sites, bookmarking what I like after jotting the ingredients I don't have, and then pulling up the recipe the night I make it.  If it's a hit, I'll add it to my sacred recipe box with my name painted on it (the one I mentally said I would probably never use because it was too "country looking" at my wedding shower...but now I think it's pretty flip up-and-down fantastic since someone took the time to paint my name (spelled right) and various apples on it.  Besides, it's in my cabinet above the cereal out of sight most of the time...who was I worried would see and find me too country anyway?) Ahum...rabbit trail.

I used half a turkey breast instead of chicken.  Other than that and the currants, no other substitutions.  I thought it was really good, for sure moist and not dried out (cooked 10 min in the oven to temp since I used smaller pieces not 15).  The boys ate it without any trouble after carefully picking off the capers.  Noah said I burned the outside of the turkey...so much for his culinary concept of searing in juices and added texture. ;)

Final verdict...I think I'll add it to the country recipe box...but it will be more for the method of cooking the turkey and the winner marinade than for the sauce.

7 comments:

emilykate said...

I get the Cooking Light magazine and have a love/hate relationship with it. Love lots of the recipes, but find myself getting annoyed with some of the ingredients that I've never heard of or don't even know where to begin to find them. Snobs. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

he-he-he...that's funny...snobs. Haven't heard the word in a while. ;)

smw said...

i loved your thoughts on the recipe box. i have some things that weren't my style just like that. but some of them someone put so much effort into and later they came to be some of the most meaningful gifts that i got.

Jessica Gramm said...

It's been a LONG time since I've commented......but I saw your mention of juniper berries and I thought I'd let you know (if you didn't already) that they are dangerous to use while pregnant as they will cause the uterus to contract and cause miscarriage or preterm labor. Just an interesting FYI. You need to visit Montana sometime!!

L, Ann and boys said...

Oh my! I didn't know that. I bought them awhile ago and haven't used them yet. Thanks for the heads up as I was perusing some fish recipes the other day to use them. Goodness. Good to hear from you girlfriend. :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Oh my! I didn't know that. I bought them awhile ago and haven't used them yet. Thanks for the heads up as I was perusing some fish recipes the other day to use them. Goodness. Good to hear from you girlfriend. :)

Jessica Gramm said...

I miss you Ann!! : ) We should really do better at staying in touch......we only have about 9 kids or so between the 2 of us.....what's our problem anyways? ; )