Wednesday, November 28, 2012

mini memoir of group exercise class...

I've walked by the group exercise room at the Y and wondered "what's going on in there" on more than one occasion.  I've never been able to give an opinion on a group class though...because as of two weeks ago, I had never participated in one.  I've always considered myself more of a loner when it comes to sweating it out and finding some mental space.  That hasn't changed much, but I can give an opinion now-becuase yes...I did hop into a class or two the passed few weeks to see what all the rage was about.  Curiosity finally killed the cat...

My overall opinion:  Group classes are a really challenging, heaping spoonful of positive peer pressure, kind of like high school gym class with much louder music experience.

I walked into a cardio sculpt class and parked it in the middle of the room not wanting to hide out in back unable to see the instructor.  These classes are ongoing throughout the year...so you just go when so moved, making the crowed vary week by week.  Even with the changing crowd as a cover, it became obvious early on that I was a "new" girl whenever I paused to figure out what they were doing-oh well.  All that pausing sure didn't give me enough of a break to keep from being super soar over the next three days.  Ya...I kind of thought I could handle it, but turns out, I'm not in the habit of lunging and squatting in sets of fifteen for an hour.

The next week I tried ZUMBA.  Yes...the dance fitness class of our era.  I'll just be frank and say my high school years didn't involve much "dancing" and I'm not real great at it (I got the math and science award my senior year if that explains anything ;)  From what I can tell, it's possible to turn Zumba into a simple step class with no legit dance like moves if you're dead set on not swinging your hips in any particular direction.  But I looked around, and as the room was full of all women-only one being totally intimidating with her sure footed lithe movements- I kind of let go and got lost in the salsa.  The instructor saying in an encouraging voice in the background "it's just a step forward and back, make it Latin with a swing like this."

I still enjoy a solitary run through the woods...but group classes are a fun change up to any routine that is getting dull.

4 comments:

Heather Hoerr said...

that's fun you tried some group exercise classes. I love them. I think the time goes by fast and I like doing different workouts as much as possible. plus the positive peer pressure helps me work out harder to see if I can be the "best" in the room. :)

Amber said...

I was always a staunch loner until after I had the twins and needed some change and motivation. While I still need a "just me and my head" workout now and then, I've come to love the push to finish a group class brings and it's been fun to get to know some neat women in the community. And yes, it does keep your muscles guessing. We have a class called "ripped" here that I could see you really liking - it basically just constantly tries to not let you get any muscle memory is how I describe it. : ) Always changes a little and keeps moving in a way that about the time you're dying, you move on to something else. It's the one class that finally got me to stop doing push ups from my knees. It's the little things . . . ; )

megs @ whadusay said...

I love my group classes! Especially the camaraderie of the women who attend with me!

L, Ann and boys said...

You girls are the type that made me enjoy the group setting much more than I thought I would. :)