Saturday, November 17, 2012

Five Friday...

5 minutes of writing-no editing...

prompt: stay

time: 9:19pm

The first thing that came to mind, honestly, is a couple down the street that is separating.  I don't know them that well...just nice neighbors I see every now and then.  She stopped her car the other day and the window came down.  Said something about their house being up for sale soon if we might be interested when I was on a walk.  Then said "We don't dislike each other or anything...we just can't do it anymore."  I didn't say much.  I would like to think I wasn't judgmental in my mind but just sad for them.  What are you supposed to say?  They have two kids just hitting high school.  The one thing I remember thinking in a sad voice was "stay".  Not so much for moral reasons.  I'm bound to those reasons by my faith and don't know what her's is...so I can't push that on her.  No...it was just because I feel in the depth of my heart that life will only get more sad and frustrating from here by the way she described things.  She just seemed restless, like she needed a new beginning, someone that understands her better maybe.  But the only way to get those things is...to stay.  To start over and over and over until you really do know that other person.

time: 9:24pm

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

You have such a gift with words...this touched me so much. I think it filled my heart with gratitude because I had parents who chose to stay when they didn't want to. I will be forever grateful.

L, Ann and boys said...

Thanks Rebekah...I was thinking about deleting this post...but I will leave it. :) I hope it doesn't sound judgmental or like I know what it's like to be in a really hard relationship.

Rebekah said...

I didn't think it sounded judgemental...I feel like you expressed what kids want to tell their parents in these kinds of situations. When the parents themselves hardly seem to know why they are quitting. It doesn't sound like a home where there is violence or abuse...just two people who have decided it would be easier to not live together. It just makes me so sad.

L, Ann and boys said...

and now I hope my comment above doesn't sound like "la la la...I have no relationship problems...ever..." because that's just not true. I just hope I never presume to fully understand someone else's situation. Thanks again for the very thoughtful encouragement.