Saturday, October 13, 2012

ISOLA D ' ELBA

So we left off at the ferry to Elba.  The island that Napoleon was exiled to.  It's time we wrap up this name meaning obsession I had...which was fed throughout the trip.  We checked into our room for one night on Elba and this pamphlet was on the desk.  I was like "Oh, hey, another Andrea thing.  We should totally go to this little cape and see it before we leave."  Come to find out we were staying right on the "Capo Sant'Andrea" and didn't know it...or that it existed at all.  Cool.  But here are a few other Andrea encounters we had...it's a pretty popular name in Italy.
 snorkel guy.  The only red headed italian we met. Name: Andrea
Snorkel guy Andrea says to friend in blue shorts as we leave..."Ciao Andrea"  Name also apparently: Andrea
I  already posted a picture of our friend Andrea, who we met early on in the trip
 water taxi guy. Name: Andrea
And not to get ahead of myself by jumping to the soccer game...but #21 just behind the ref to the right is Andrea Pirlo.  They call him "evergreen" because he just keeps playing despite his age of 33.  He is also nicknamed "the architect" for setting up strategic long passes.  Spectators love him and yell his name a lot.  So the name I heard chanted at the soccer game, along with whistles, songs and yells: Andrea


The meaning of the name Andrea is: Manly
The origin of the name Andrea is: Italian
Alternate spellings: Andria, Andreah

Notes: Form of ANDREW. Can be pronounced ANN-dree-a or Ahn-DRAY-a

When we had dinner at Andrea and Masha's, Andrea said..."Now don't cry-go home and give your mom a hug and then ask why?" Then he proceeded to explain the following about the name's greek origins:

It derives from the Greek ανήρ (anēr), genitive ανδρός (andrós), that indicates the man as opposed to the woman. The original Greek name is Andréas.

In the year 2006, it was the third most popular name in Italy with 3.1% of newborns. Outside of Italy, the name is generally considered a female name.  My mom said she spelled my name Andria with an "i" because she thought I would be a tomboy and it seemed a little more spunky...it would seem she already had it covered without the alternate spelling.  Maybe if I just put the greek prefix meaning "mother of" in front, now that would translate. ;) 
Luke almost threw me off this pier during a night walk along the shore...but then decided to keep me. ;)
The rocks are super unique...they play tricks on your eyes morphing into shapes like clouds do sometimes...like this one looks like a sea horse...right?
The crock head
The wooly sheep
We snorkeled the clear water off the cape, also known as "sea watching".  It was really pretty when the sun cleared the clouds, but the day was a bit overcast so the light was in and out.  Lots of friendly fish.



fishing and a sailboat
The few buildings along the cape.
shot from the ferry

below: gull riding the updraft air currents from the ferry.

We were sort of like lost birds thrown off a normal migration ourselves on this island.  It's apparently a Swiss/German hang out this time of year.  Imagine me...sitting at a table, gelato in hand, unabashedly people watching (again) because they reminded me of...pretty much everyone a grew up with in church.  They had board games out...they were organized...they knew each other and other families that arrived separately.  they argued in animated german about the rules of the game they were playing pretty much for the sake of it. ;)  They hiked the island mountains, swam in the chilled water, drank fabulous thick hot cocoa (we tried it) and had "bigger" families.  I'm happy to report that I want to see Switzerland and think I would love the people there from somewhere deep inside. I mean, I love my daddy, so I'm sure that would be the case.
I'm still shaking my head at the odds of finding a place where my mom and dad's cultures were thrown together in such a unique way. :)
We are small in the universe
The "hey we were really there" shot in the soccer stadium
Andrea (from Eco) went with us to the game as we would have most certainly been fish out of water in the Italian stadium with visiting Ukrainians.  I didn't see any other Americans there, that's for sure.  Andrea kindly told the spectators in our seats that we had arrived as well...not sure how we would have done that without him.  We left an hour or so early so we could park and maybe eat before the game...but there was an accident in one of the tunnels and traffic was totally stopped.  Long story short...we came screaming into Torino, parked in the first spot we found, which was so tight Luke crawled out of the trunk...of a fiat...can you imagine the micro size to scrunch a fiat? :)    Then we hoofed it to the closest stadium entrance.  The problem was, once the game starts, only one entrance is open... the one on the other side of the stadium.  As cheers erupted through the open roof of the dome we walked as fast as possible...but I was in heels, so it wasn't all that speedy.  After another roaring cheer about something we couldn't see filled the air, Luke said "We should run."  To which I responded "You want me to run...really?"  One look at his face and-off went the heels...away ran Andria free as a bird.  We probably confirmed at least one Italian's perception that Americans are crazy before reaching our destination-oh well. ;)  We were in our seats for the first score ten minutes into the game. whew.  
Final score.  Since the teams weren't rivals...we didn't have to leave early to avoid "fights" upon exiting the stadium. :) All of the people in orange around the perimeter are security...and they do stare at you the whole game with steely expressions... like at any moment you my leap from your seat, through the air, onto the field in a rage.  We didn't get back to our room in Volostra until 3a. 
I only have one more post-worth of pictures.  Kind of sad to be done recounting the events.  It gave me something fun to do when I woke up at 5a unable to go back to sleep from the time change. ;)

No comments: