Thursday, August 23, 2012

race fuel...

Oh yeah!  Black bean brownies for breakfast. =)

12. Indianapolis: (ranks 12th in a poll of top 50 populated cities in America) 
As the hub for several interstates that cut through the city, Indianapolis has been dubbed the "Crossroads of America." It's not surprising, also given its notoriety as home to the Indy 500, that Indianapolis has long been considered a driver's city. Local residents, 26% of whom are obese, have paid the price for sprawl policies and a prevailing car culture--with their health. That may change as city planners continue to build and promote greenways and bike paths, including its so-called "cultural trail," an eight-mile path which will connect several neighborhoods.
Someone said to me the other day that Indianapolis is a very unhealthy city, so I looked it up.  Could be worse, could be better.  Another thing that stood out while I was searching articles was a quote "red states rank worst."  Meaning the conservative states are the most overweight.  This bothers me because I really believe Christians should be some of the most healthy people on the planet-not media stereotype perfect, I mean healthy.  Not because they are super humans, but because if we live what we believe, we should be demonstrating discipline, respect for our physical bodies, and be emotionally settled so we aren't excessive in other areas of our lives.  Not only that, but when you are joyful, you want to move; hike a trail, go for a swim, walk with the baby in a stroller...mop the floors and listen to music while doing it-I don't know, whatever moves you.  I've been jogging before and gotten the visual of running away from a huge mountain of insecurity only to cross the valley and start climbing up the mountain of extremes on the other side.  I don't want to be chained to either mountain.  The Spirit says I don't have to be.  So I'll eat my black bean brownies and enjoy the endorphins of my next race.  I'll take in stride the fact that I've gained weight training instead of loosing-I feel stronger and have learned to eat when I'm hungry (which seems often ;).
hmmmmmmm..... almost deleted this whole post but I think I'll leave it.  Real issues for real people. =) 

13 comments:

emilykate said...

I like the part about not being chained to either side. Glad you posted this. I have definitely had posts that I've almost deleted...but what's the point of having a blog if you can't speak your mind?

L, Ann and boys said...

Oh good, one comment instead of the deathly silence that makes you wonder if you caused offense. ;)

AnRene`

Sarah said...

Love your thoughts!! Thank you!

Heather Hoerr said...

What's your black bean brownie recipe An? I've never made them before... always been a little aprehensive... but maybe it's time to give it a try :)

L, Ann and boys said...

Heather, I put a link on the post too. Hope you enjoy! =)

1 (15 oz) can unseasoned black beans (beware of cooking your own unless you can make them really soft)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate (in the baking section)
1 T butter (that's right ONE tablespoon)
6 egg whites
2 cups sugar (I use a bit less but try with 2 first time around)
3 T all-purpose flour (yes, this makes it pretty low carb...but I love carbs so what that means I'm not sure)
2 T instant espresso coffee (don't ever have it and use 2-4 oz brewed espresso added to the beans in blender)
1/2 c chopped walnuts if you like them, just sprinkle almonds or chocolate chips on top if you prefer

Directions:

preheat ovan to 350. Spray 9x13. Place rinsed beans in a blender with two or three egg whites (espresso if you brewed it-make sure it's cooled a bit so it doesn't cook your whites) and blend it like crazy. No prize for texture here, these are subbing for oil so make them smooth. Place chocolate and butter in a micro safe bowl and heat 30 seconds stir, 30 stir...until melted. Now combine bean puree, sugar, flour, instant espresso, if using it, and the other egg whites in a bowl and electric mixe it until smooth. Add chocolate (it doesn't taste good without the sugar, don't be tempted to lick that spoon=) Pour into the 9x13 and add nuts if using them on top. Bake 30-35 min until the brownie pulls away from the sides of pan. Add chocolate chips on top, when melted, spread as frosting. Cool completely in the pan before cutting. These taste better as they sit, I like them better the next day if they are covered well. These have really come through when I'm eating everything chocolate in site. Yum yum...=)

L, Ann and boys said...

I used one cup of sugar not two. Just saw that.

leah said...

love this! thanks for sharing! awesome thoughts..

J and A said...

Good insight, An. I agree, though I must say that unfortunately, lately I'm the happiest when I'm shoving food in my face. It's a relaxer, as now it's a lot more work to go for a jog (with a double stroller), or a swim (I'm usually watching the boys), and thus my down time is when I'm sitting with a snack doing devotions, reading, or just enjoying the solitude... In my house, because someone has to stay home with the kids. But we really do need to make sure we are treating our bodies as temples. What constituted "healthy"? We definitely have our faults with eating a lot as believers, but I wonder about access to foods as well. Cities, which tend to be more diverse religiously, as well as a greater hue of blue, also tend to have greater access to a wider array of foods. Also, many of the vegetarians I know tend to be agnostic/atheist, thus not realising the liberties to eat meat, which could lead to a more unhealthy lifestyle.

Wow. It almost sounds like I'm arguing with you. But I'm not. It would just be interesting to take a anthropological sample to see why this is the case, and how we can combat it.

As for the brownies, I heard they are amazing. If you ever make the spinach ones, those are fudge good, but only if room temp.

L, Ann and boys said...

Amber-

Good thoughts. I don't think I would ever be able to swim if it weren't for child watch at the YMCA. I usually run with Luke in the evening when the kids are asleep or just go solo quick so I don't miss time with him-it still stinks though if he's home and I leave. Juggling schedules is really hard. I often feel guilt when I'm on a long bike ride thinking I should be making a better dinner or should be doing laundry. ;) That's why it's really important to me that I enjoy the ride or run or whatever... because it counts as my down time too. Otherwise, why put myself through the torture if I don't like it-most days it's my highlight unless it's 102 degrees out. ;)

I didn't feel like you were arguing at all. Love the feedback. =)

I'll look up the spinach recipe too-I've never heard of that.

AnRene

Kristi said...

I was eating a handful of redhots as i nodded my head in agreement...
hmmmm....

L, Ann and boys said...

Kristi
I love red hots! :). My mom used to make tea rings and use them for little flower decorations in the icing at Chridtmas....if we hadn't eaten them all.;)

Colie said...

Hi. I have been stalking/following your blog for awhile. I met Luke when he was a resident in the PICU, he showed me your blog and I thought you were super woman. I just wanted to say THANKS for this post. I have been trying to excuse away the 7 pounds of baby weight I can't lose, until I read this post. You're right, someone who is joyful and loves God should want to move and enjoy all the things He has given us. Again, thanks, it was just the perspective I needed to get myself back into gear and reacquaint myself with discipline.

L, Ann and boys said...

Colie-

I wish you well. If ever there was an excuse to slow down for a while it's a new baby. =) I always felt much better emotionally if I took our little ones for a walk though-so even though I feel like saying "girl, don't worry about it." A real friend would say "go girl, enjoy a walk this afternoon and I hope you enjoy a balance lunch." =)

take care,

AnRene`