Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Out of the archives tale...


I just read Meg's story about Target and it brought this little tale back to mind:

I didn't post about it before because Luke was gone for a week a couple months ago, and I didn't feel like broadcasting that info online.  SO...Luke was gone.  We needed milk and bread.  We ALL made a Trader Joe's run.  Normally the TJ run is a solo outing for Luke or I...a blissful getting food and a sample of coffee experience.  So I braced myself.

They grabbed three miniature carts the store provides and had some kind of race along the cheese display with sound affects.  After being called back and told they could only use one so other kids could have them, Christian put on his I'm going to cry siren loud face.  I shouldn't have rewarded it...but I told the older boys to give him the little cart.  I'm sure I'll see that stormy face again as I enforced that it works---sometimes.  ;/  They found the hidden purple monkey too fast (which is a helpful distraction while it lasts), asked for seconds at the sample table and drank tons of sample (caffeinated) ice tea.  They helped unload the cart with vigor at the check out.  Unfortunately, the check out clerks normally do this a few items at a time and there is no counter space for loading things up.  A tower formed on the small ledge as the clerk kept mentioning kindly that he had enough items for while.  Then they helped load stuff in bags and got in the way of every single person trying to leave in the process.  Willem finally began to whine a little not wanting to be confined in the Bijorn any longer.  I started feeding him crackers that weren't paid for yet.

But the real disaster had not yet happened.  These events had all been expected and tolerated as the norm.

We got so much stuff we had two carts.  We left like a train.  Coming out the front door we saw it had started raining (ya, this was back in May...you know, when in rained that one time in IN).  Anyway, I left the two older boys with the carts by the door under the awning, pulled up the car with the others loaded and planned on a smooth transition with the groceries.  I took one cart.  Adrian wanted to help and pushed the other down the ramp toward our vehicle...only... the wheel didn't quite make the ramp and dropped off the side of the curb.  The rest of the cart followed as his little body wasn't much of a counter weight.  I turned in time to see it topple.  Adrian's face looked a little pale.  Our cereal, milk, pasta and various other items lay in the side lane being dampened in the rain.  Amazingly, my cart had the olive oil and eggs.  A swarm of other shoppers took pity on us and we had things loaded up in no time.  I kind of kept my head down saying thank you over and over again and then fled the scene under the guise of not wanting to get drenched.

The irony:...the crazy things in life are what make the rest of it seem so calm.  Next time I load groceries in the rain...I'll think, "oh isn't this nice?  And all my stuff is still in the cart and everything." ;)

Andria

6 comments:

leah said...

oh boy. i'm exhausted just reading this. :) you are a trooper!

hehe--thanks for sharing!

Kelli's Blog said...

Thanks for sharing Ann. Being a homeschooling mom and a wife of a workaholic husband, I totally understand the concept of taking the kids everywhere with me. Although there are days when I count my grocery run/running errands trip as my vigorous aerobic workout for the day - I wouldn't trade that time with my kids for anything. There are too many times during the outings that I just smile at something the kids have done or said, like the dumped slushie all over the floor at Meijer or the way Avery feels so big when I give him the debit card and tell him to handle the payment...

megs @ whadusay said...

good times I tell you, good times. :)

smw said...

:)

Aubrey said...

Thanks for the laugh at your expense. :) My shopping trips with 3 tend to be nightmare-ish. I can't imagine 5!!

J and A said...

Ha, love it! The next thing you know, the youngers will be asking you for TJ runs all the time. Liam does that at least once a week. Seriously. Probably, because he discovered that the cashiers love to hand out those little lollipops to smiling children. That and the carts. :)