Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nike+ app review

(random picture-not my summary...4,005 cals...what? Hope that runner is eating something while jogging =)

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.  You don't need a shoe insert to keep track of your distance using Nike+ if you normally run with a smart phone.  Putting the tracker in a running shoe ($20+) manually tracks each step while the app just tracks you using your GPS location.  If I run roads, I know how far I've gone, but if I hit the trails out in the woods I've got no clue.  I've been running trails instead of sidewalks and roads as much as possible because it's so much easier on your knees...and it's just prettier and more enjoyable.  I missed not knowing how far I'd gone though.  Enter the Nike+ app.  It gives you your time and speed at each mile and then resumes your playlist.  It also gives you a nice little summary at the end of the run.  After my first run using the app this afternoon, Lance Armstrong said I had accomplished my personal best 5K...how nice of him.  It had less impact when considering it was the only 5K logged. ;)

verdict: definitely worth the $1.99 I paid for the download

     

3 comments:

Ashton said...

Wow, cool! Yet another reason that I wish I had an iphone. Not that I'm complaining. Sigh...

Marcy said...

Love my Nike+ sports band! Not as luxurious as the Nike+ app on an iphone or ipod, but does the job.. I also love how it gives year-end stats for you - it will kind of amaze you. We'll have to become Nike+ friends ;)

L, Ann and boys said...

oooww...I didn't know about the year end report. Sounds very nice. =) And yes, I kind of skipped through all the set up stuff because I wanted to just start running, so I'll need to look at the friends options again. =)