Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Revamp...

You've been on the edge of your seat right...? ;)
Just to emphasize why the butter needed to be reigned in on this dish

Before from the butter (6 T) and cream (1/4 Cup): 85.5 grams fat (makes 4 servings)

After from 1/2 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1% milk (1/4 c) : 25 grams fat (5g per serving)

I don't normally calorie count or obsess on fat content, but the fat sources should good ones if possible.  And by good, I mean easy for the body to digest and use.  Normally health books judge this by wether the fat is solid at room temperature or not and also whether it's plant or animal based.  Olive oil is liquid, butter is solid.  Rule of thumb is to go with the olive.  But then you've got coconut oil that's solid at room temp and is said to be healthy.  So I'm not trying to make things sound overly simple when they're not.  My rule on butter is to add it only when the flavor is key and essential.  For this dish, I'm happy to say it was not.

I added mushrooms to fill in the rich flavor gap from the butter being omitted.  I'm going to type out the recipe here as I altered it.  If you want the original...I'll e-mail it to you at your own dietary risk. ;)

Scrambled eggs in their nests

You will need:

1 pound 2 ounces potatoes (I used three pig ones-4 medium ones)
1/2 Tablespoon butter (optional)
1/4 low fat milk
5 eggs (I omitted one egg from potatoes on accident but it tasted lovely without so I'll stick with 5 not 6 eggs.  I think it holds the nests together as I had more trouble plating this go around.  It was fine since I used parchment paper...but without the paper, they may have fallen apart.  Next time I'll add the egg to the potatoes and omit one from the sauce as there seems to be a little too much for the four nests in my opinion.
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
3 mushrooms, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Cook the cubed peeled potatoes in salted, boiling water for 20-30 minutes until tender.  Mash in a bowl, then add 1/2 tablespoon butter (optional), 2-3 tablespoons milk, parmesan, and lastly the egg ( I kind of stirred the potatoes until it seemed less steaming hot before adding the egg so it wouldn't set the first time I made it).   Mix well and season with salt to taste (easy does it, the water was salted too).  Preheat the oven to 350. line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease.  Make four little nests with the potato mixture on the cookie sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes until golden.  Meanwhile, lightly beat the remaining eggs with salt and pepper. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, saute chopped mushrooms until browned and then let cool slightly before adding eggs and the rest of the milk (you don't want the eggs to cook really fast on the hot skillet-go slow).  cook on low heat until the mixture is creamy but not set like traditional scrambled eggs.  Spoon into the potato nests and broil the whole dish for a few minutes then serve.  Broiling the top is something I added to the recipe because a lot of people I know and love think unset eggs look gross.  Yolks are (I've read) healthier eaten soft.  But broiling the top of the nests adds a nice crust to the top that doesn't look saucy, adds some flavor and it's still creamy inside.  YUM!

Noah's review on first round: "Tastes heavenly-could you make more?" (and he doesn't like soft yolks normally)
Second round: "Yum, mom, this is really good"

I do agree that the dish went from smooth, richly crisp to homey and comforting.  I could barley finish my first plate because it was like dessert with salt added though and the revamped serving was perfect for my tastes.  Much lighter but still creamy and very satisfying.  I left all the cheese in the potatoes...so it's still a really rich, deep tasting recipe.

Enjoy your kitchen =)

Ann

2 comments:

emilykate said...

These posts are fun. And this looks really good.

J and A said...

Yum! How'd the boys like it? I can't believe you were able to cut out almost a stick of butter and have it still taste ok!