Friday, March 9, 2012

Recipe worthy of a revamp...

We love eggs around here.  After a while...the same way of cooking them over and over gets a little bland.  I've taken up my "The Silver Spoon" Italian cook book for some inspiration lately and while the results have been very tasty, I'm appalled at the amount of butter added to nearly every egg dish.  I'm not freaking out over a few tablespoons...we're talking half a cup sometimes with cream on the ingredient list too.  So I thought it would be fun to make each recipe the way it's traditionally written (or nearly, I confess I left out two tablespoons of butter this morning...I just couldn't handle it) and then make it again with a revamp on the ingredient list.  The hope is to not loose too much of the flavor and still keep the general feel of each dish intact.  
 Yes, that says 6 Tablespoons butter plus 1/4 cup heavy cream
 Little potato nests waiting to be glorified to crispy brown in the oven
 A sort of viewable picture of what the results should have looked like...
 the cook book is huge...it's like a million pages of old sometimes odd recipes-calf head anyone?  There are many treasures hidden away in there though, I just know it.

 Basically the best pile of mashed potatoes I've ever had with creamy sauce on top...we'll see if it's any good after I strip most of the goodness gracious butter out of it. ;)

1 comment:

Dmasy said...

Denny and I think yummy looking. Denny says you leave him speechless...