Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I never thought I would #2

 This is what the post is about
This is who you'll see if you google "Neti pot"
and an article if you want to know the particulars...

First off, I don't have allergies and I'm not suffering from congestion...I just had to know.  When I get something like this in my head, it's over, I'm curious-probably best that I became a Christian early on in life. =) 

So now you know what and sort of why...now for the how it went part.  I didn't think it was that hard to do.  Basically you tip your head forward so the water doesn't go down your throat and pour saline solution into one side of your nose.  After sloshing around in your sinuses, the water comes out the other side.  I know, weird. It felt kind of warm with a slight burn sensation...like when I used to get water in my nose at the pool as a kid.  Then it just felt warm.  Afterward you have to blow your nose in a tissue to get any extra water out of you nose...this is understated in the directions, I felt like I had to keep blowing my nose every now and again for 10 minutes or so after.  Long and short, not that hard to use if you can relax and if I ever have a really stuffy nose or a sinus headache, I'll pull this thing out again and know how to use it. =)  Also, it is recommended that you use filtered or bottled water since it comes in contact with your sinus system which is absorbent tissue.

I hope you've enjoyed this recount of my neti pot experience. ;) 

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I would love to see pictures/video from your personal experience

:)

Miranda said...

I have wanted to try this for a while now, I just can't seem to get up the courage to do it! :)

Shana said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45698152/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/brain-eating-amoeba-fatalities-linked-common-cold-remedy

copy and paste this link. I just read a creepy story on neti pots two days ago on msnbc.com

L, An and boys said...

I found the same article when I was trying to find a picture for this post...bottled water if it creeps you out seems to be the remedy. Not a bad idea to use good water anyway since it's coming in contact with your mucous membranes and will absorb what's in the water. Thanks for the link. =)

L, An and boys said...

Oh and Sarah, I did this when Luke wasn't home because I knew he would think it was ridiculous...so unless I make Noah my camera man there will never be a video of this event as it's rather dificult to hold a camera and dump water through your sinuses at the same time. heee hee ;) But maybe just maybe next time I do it...

Ann

Erika said...

Ann~ Caden and I both do this! He actually will ask to do it b/c it gives him some relief from congestion. It really does help when you have a cold! Just fyi :) Also, the temp of the water plays a big role in comfort.

emilykate said...

Okay weird. I was just telling someone today that I was thinking of getting one due to my crazy allergies and chronic sinus infections. You have encouraged me even more...

J and A said...

Love it. I tried it last year when everyone and their mother told me it'd help with my prego congestion. It didn't, but I was also able to cross it off my bucket list (even though it was never on it!)... Joel on the other hand uses it fairly regularly.

Renae Lindberg said...

I actually use this thing quite a bit. I get allergies easy and being prego or nursing a lot in the last 2 years, I def. recommend it!!! Also if you're prone to sinus infections from allergies it helps ward off that too.... but yeah, kind of a weird sensation!!!