Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The written word...

Noah and I just finished "Old Yeller" for a read aloud book.  I never know if he's really paying attention; at the end of this read, I got a little choked up at the sad ending.  When I looked over at Noah, he said he didn't want to read anymore...and then just crumpled up and tried not to cry himself.  The interesting thing was, I was really proud of him at that moment.  Not that he was emotional...but that he had let the story into his mind so much that it was almost real to him.  We've lost this ability in some resect because most of our media is spoon fed to us with the emotional response already carefully planned.  I pray that he will someday be able to read the account of Jesus and enter into the story with this same level of intensity.  We've got to be counter cultural in this area or literature and history will fade away into a black and white blur of meaningless jargon.  

1 comment:

cjschafer said...

This is great..... Books, stories....fact and fiction are a where the imagination grows. Gaming and movies are often where the brain can be found rotting away....or simply mimicking what was just seen or heard. Originality comes with intellectual and imaginative exercises, not the least of which is a good book read aloud at a young age. I remember my dad going through the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley with us at the foot of his chair....I hope I don't forget that and pick a good book to read to my chillins. :)