Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thinking outside the box...

My adorable niece Poppy...who is now crawling, growling if you don't acknowledge her presence fast enough, and climbing into boxes if she can find them.  I love her! =)

But back to the outside the box idea...and as a preface...I hope it doesn't sound flippant or trite in any way.

What if you had a dream tonight-an angel appears and says that he has a blessing for you.  A special grace-filled something that will make you convincing and genuine to others-something that will, in time, make you a willing servant of God-it will change you, it will make you think of God in a way that causes you to remember Him and know that He is in control.  The angel says that it will win true friends, you will remember what is important and be able to live with more self control and ability to consider others before yourself.  The angel says it will grant you true humility.  The angel says you will find contentment and true joy through the gift.  You want the gift right?  Who wouldn't?

Pretty much nobody really wants their gift-I don't most of the time anyway (maybe because I didn't ever have that dream with the angel to introduce it ;).  It  usually comes in a form we don't like.  It may be something you don't like in the mirror, or a life experience that turns our world upside down.  A gift...?  It doesn't seem like it.  But are we stuck in a box?

This idea is not original...but I was challenged to consider it again after getting groceries the other day.  The guy at the register was middle aged and kind of quiet.  I mentioned I didn't know how to cook with polenta and he started off on a great recipe for it...he had a stutter that he tried to control when he talked fast.  He was so intent on finishing the recipe before I had to leave.  He could have just let it go-stayed quiet...but he just went on and didn't seem to care what he sounded like.  I don't know how to describe the instant genuine trust I had in this guy, just because he was trying so hard.  I instantly became very attentive and wanted him to think I wasn't noticing any of his hesitations.  He could have said anything and I would have tried to make him feel heard.  God knows how to do that...to break down barriers between individuals.  It may be through something you don't like about yourself.  Are you willing to accept it...if it makes you real to the brokenhearted in your world?    

Jesus said: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord."  
Luke 4:18&19

6 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for that Ann! This has actually been on my mind this week. God has given me a gift that I really don't like. I've just been called to use this gift and it's making me bow down in submission to Him!

J Gutwein said...

tears.. ;)..

Kelli's Blog said...

Awesome passage...What a wonderful reminder of being submissive to God's will. Thanks!

Ashton said...

Good thoughts, An. And I like how you tied in Poppy in the box.:)

L, An and boys said...

Any tie in with Poppy is a good one ;)

An

Elaina said...

Wow. Thanks for the great reflection! Also, enjoyed your birth announcement. :)