Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring cleaning the pantry...

So...last spring I went through my pantry and refrigerator and checked for three things: a fat content over 10 grams per serving, Trans fats and sugar content through the roof-like over 20-30 grams per serving.  If the item was a culprit, I put it on the counter.  When I was done I tried to make a mental note of the offenders so I would find a better choice next time I was at the store...but I never replaced my peanut butter-which at 16 grams of fat per serving was definitely part of the counter crew.  I really like peanut butter, so it became an exception to the rule.  I've got big news though...big.  This post may only interest my sister Kaitlin...but regardless, I must share this fine product since I wish I had discovered it sooner.  The name is a little annoying- Better'n Peanut Butter but I'll overlook that. ;)  2.5 grams of fat per serving and it still tastes good somehow.  It's made with peanuts, so this doesn't help those with allergies, but they are defatted before being turned into butter-fine by me.  I got it at Trader Joe's but Marsh and several other stores carry it too-the website has a locator by zip.  Check your yogurt too-I don't always get the lowest fat choice-but the sugar in yogurt cups can be outrageous-but it's considered a healthy snack by most because of heavy marketing.  The light versions have fake sugar and I don't enjoy the taste that much.  Plain with honey and fresh fruit tastes way better anyway-and it's cheaper.  Maybe next year I'll find a magic, healthy, great tasting, low fat dark chocolate...or not. ;)

Eat well, sit long with friends, and enjoy!  =)

7 comments:

emilykate said...

Fun post. I love suggestions like this. Unfortunately, I don't believe they sell this product in my area...

J and A said...

hmmmm, good to know! :)
Joel loves peanut butter, but is kind of a snob and refuses to eat most types unless they taste good, does not separate and it's chunky. Maybe I can try this with him though. Hopefully our TJ's has it!

L, An and boys said...

I think it only comes in creamy...it doesn't separate because there's so little oil in it to begin with. But it really does taste amazing.

L, An and boys said...

Emily-I'll have to get some to you girl friend ;)

An

Bry&Ash said...

YES! I found this peanut butter at Trader Joe's too a little while ago and really like it. I don't know why all peanut butter isn't made this way.

One question, though...do you think you can cook with it like you normally would? Like in a cookie recipe? Or is there not enough oil?

L, An and boys said...

Good question...I would think you could do half of this kind and half normal at least-I have both around for the boys since I need a bigger size than 8 oz for them.
Let me know if you try it and it works.
An

Kaitlin said...

Aw. I do love this post! I think you may have helped to solve my problem of eating WAY too much fatty peanutbutter. :)