Monday, April 20, 2009

Soooorry...

Setting: Noah holding back tears after knocking his head on a marble counter top. Adrian (in sing-songy tone): "Noah...you should watch where you're going..." Noah (in a pathetic wail) "ADRIAN...don't talk to me" Adrian (with a sidelong glance and annoying smile) "You should watch" Noah: "ADRIAN!" Adrian quietly chuckles to himself avoiding Noah's eyes Noah (still in utter despair): "say sorry" Adrian (with very lame attempt at sincerity): "sooooooorry" Noah: "mom, make him say sorry" Me: "say sorry Adrian, don't give advice when someone is still hurting" Adrian: "I DID" Noah: "he didn't, he just said soooooooorry" Me: "say it again Drian" Adrian: "sorry" Lessons: kids are funny and annoying at the same time...but we knew that already didn't we. =o) Do I give advice when someone is still hurting? Do I avoid eye contact to say more snide comments than I would otherwise? What tone do my apologies have to the receiver? have a great day =o) Ann

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I bet Noah and Adrian really keep you on your toes! It was great to be with them this weekend. Avery enjoyed playing with them at your Mom and Dad's during the baby shower.

smw said...

boy. what good advice. the not giving advice while others are still hurting. hard to do as a mom sometimes.