Monday, March 16, 2009

A baby story...

March 4th I walked out of the OB office wondering if the baby inside playing contortionist would arrive soon. I hadn't dilated any more from my apt a week earlier, which wasn't super encouraging considering how many Braxton Hicks contractions I'd had all week. "Oh well, he'll come when he comes I guess...I refuse to ingest icky Castor oil again this pregnancy" I thought to myself as I unwrapped a peach lolly pop the OB office kindly provided at the front desk. I had contractions all day but nothing worth heading to the hospital. The next morning I woke up and with an act of complete will against what my memory said was a bad idea, added Castor oil to juice and took it down. It was indeed as stomach turning as the last three times I tried this trick. "There, I did all I can do and now I can just chill out and wait" were my thoughts afterward. It was a nice resting place for me mentally. Later on that day as mild contractions continued, I called my sis Ashton to see if she wanted to walk with me. We walked and walked some more and by the time we stopped, she and Bryan decided to just spend the night since it was getting late. We didn't all go to bed until around 11:00p. I woke up pretty uncomfortable around 12:30a but didn't want to get Luke up yet. In my mind, I felt like I couldn't have really gotten labor started with Castor oil and walking...the contractions would stop right...? I took a hot shower and by the time I was dressed the contractions were circling to my back which means head to the hospital fast. I woke up Luke who had only been sleeping an hour or so...poor thing, then drank a protein shake and sat on my exercise ball until Luke was ready to go. When Luke saw the exercise ball out, he started to move a lot faster. =o) He didn't complain about shoving it into the back seat fully inflated either. =o) We broke the law speeding down an empty I-465 and I called the OB answering service while holding onto the seat back for dear life since I was too uncomfortable to sit down and was kneeling facing the back. They had me monitored in the observation room for 15 min before admitting me...there was this screen in the corner of the room with pictures of mountains and nature playing. In the background was a supposedly soothing narrator saying things like "God created the trees and the flowers..." Bear in mind I totally agree with the guy...but talk about annoying when you're in the middle of a contraction. That was a board member meeting decision gone all wrong. =o) I was dilated to 4 cm and down the hall we went with the exercise ball under Luke's arm and my flip flops on. My OB arrived and an hour later after bouncing it out on the ball, she broke my water and Christian Beckett was born 3:15am. After holding the baby I enjoyed some chocolate ice cream and hot chicken soup. =o) Food never tastes better than when you're truly hungry. We didn't even tell Bryan and Ash we were leaving, so the next morning was pretty funny when Luke got up and told Ash we'd had the baby. =o) The whole thing was very calm...I'm very grateful the delivery carried out so peacefully. Heavens knows it's the only thing that will be peaceful about four boys in a row. =o) The picture of me is during observation when we first arrived...my face of disdain is mostly due to the fact that Luke is taking a picture of me and because the afore-mentioned narrator talking about the loveliness of nature. =o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story...and congratulations! I can't wait to meet the little doll. I would love to bring you all dinner some evening next week. Let me know what night works best. So happy for you family!
Love,
Kara

Ashton said...

That picture of you is so funny...you look so annoyed. Makes me want to hurry up and get pregnant.:)

Luke & Andria said...

heee hee, well if you deliver at St V, you'll get to experience the great commentary in the observation room yourself-what a treat. Be sure to have Bryan take a picture. =o)