Friday, January 16, 2009

Fried the Microwave...

Alesa and I were just hanging out in our kitchen with something warming in the microwave when there was a buzzing hum that gradually got louder. I looked at Alesa and said the classic "what is that?", she had no idea either. Then it got loud enough that you could tell it was the microwave. It's so broken...it smelled kind of funny when I opened the door...like fried electrical wires or something. We have a gift card to Lowe's from Christmas, so we should have replaced it already right? I'm still lingering on the odd smell I encountered. I overcooked some chicken nuggets on a plastic plate once and remembered the same icky smell. I've since only used glass in the micro if possible. I told Luke I wanted to see what life would be like without it before running to the store for a new one. So far, the only change I've seen is longer cook times under our oven broiler and better tasting food overall since I like things kind of toasted. I haven't quite figured out a fast way to make popcorn or hot cocoa yet. It's been 5 days without it...I'll keep you posted on when I cave. Could you live without a microwave? Ann

6 comments:

Miranda said...

I could do without a microwave if I had to I am sure but I wouldn't want to! I use ours constantly!

Kevin & Laura said...

I would keep trying to hold out-- think of the fun things you could buy at Lowes instead-- cool lights, rugs, fun storage things. I agree that most foods are much better heated in the oven or on the stove and are more evenly hot! Stir Crazy popcorn makers make popcorn a huge event at our house (a few more dishes though). Good luck!

Luke & Andria said...

Hey thanks Laura...Stir Crazy popcorn maker will be on my list of things to check out. =o)

Ann

Alesa said...

Hey An, just seeing how your "microwave-less" life has been going ;) I always think of you when I use mine!

Luke & Andria said...

Rich and Sammy were here overnight and Rich warmed up some tea in there...gasp. I think it worked and didn't make that odd sound. I haven't touched it though. =o)

Ann

DeAnn said...

Not willingly! =)