Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wallpaper...and why most don't buy it anymore...

Before and After: Among the many possible reasons for wallpapering being kind of out of style: You pretty much need an art degree of some kind to pick out a paper you're confident in...I lack this degree and was waaaay out on a limb so to speak. =o) I ordered the paper from a "modern" site online to boost my confidence in the choice, but still had my doubts. The paper I ordered was listed as "in stock", but was back-ordered and I didn't get it for like, two months. Normal?...for something as complicated as papering, I'd say yes. =o) When it comes to hanging the stuff, you'll need your second degree: This one in engineering to get all the seams lined up right without wasting the whole triple roll on the first piece. It's maddening...and I just watched Luke's dad do it (the match for this paper was like 2.5 feet...most are around 6 inch...that could have made it a little more challenging in defense of the mental anguish that went into it). After a half hour of math equations so we would have enough for my one wall, we opened the paste to get rolling. Since papering is so out of vogue, this paste in particular had sat on the store shelf...hmmmm...maybe 10 years. =o) It was kind of set and gummy instead of smooth and spreadable. My father-in-law was not impressed...but he was amused, and I would say even impressed, when I got out my hand mixer and whipped it back to paste perfection. Once the paper was up...it took me a day to decide if I loved it or just thought it was kind of pretty; it's a metallic print...so you really need to be sold on it. I really like it now...which is good, because even with wall sizing on for prep...the tearing off process would have to be the most annoying part of the word "wallpaper". =o) Ann

8 comments:

Abby said...

I LOVE it ...really. I'm getting really into wallpaper right now. It's comin' back you know!
Send out the site...I'm looking for Ava's room.

jessica leman said...

Oh my goodness...LOVE IT!!! I really do! And are you sure you are prego??? You are a little thing!!! :)

Luke & Andria said...

Abby-I ordered this paper from:
http://www.designyourwall.com

I found other fun paper google-ing words like "modern" "metallic" "wallpaper" it seemed like sites with metallic prints had other cool stuff too if that makes any sense. =o)

I just did one wall and a little wrap around with this and it's a fun accent, it seems like that's what some of the sample pictures where doing too if the paper was bold.

Jessica, after I eat I can hardly breath because everything is so crammed right now...and I'm gaining my one pound a week like a champ. =o) The consistant kicking on my bladder at three in the morning is the little guy happy as punch to be awake and jiving away. We also don't have a name yet, so I walk around muttering names to see if they sound good out loud. These little things remind me I am indead prego-25 weeks and counting yay. =o) How are you feeling?

Ann

Minders said...

I think it looks great! It's a great paper to do as an accent on 1-2 walls! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ann,

Can you email your address? The envelope got thrown out (by my other half) :) and the garbage taken before I realized I needed it. Thanks! Looks like you have a cute house!

Bri
bwuthrich1@yahoo.com

aklopfen said...

looks great Ann!

Luke & Andria said...

Bri-on it =o)

Daveana said...

I really like the wallpaper a lot!

-Daveana