Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hachiya Persimmon

Ick! Have you ever eaten a persimmon? I was really curious and picked one up at the grocery today. Without further adieu I took a big bite...sick. See following warning I found afterward when I looked up the steps to eating a persimmon online. ***Warnings*** If you eat the Hachiya type of persimmon before it's completely ripe, you will find it bitter and chalky, and have the strongest mouth puckering experience of your life. It will numb your lips and tongue for a short moment. However, you can avoid this by soaking the persimmon in salt water for a minute before you eat it. The salt will remove most of the bitter taste in your mouth. Who knew...I'm going to let this thing sit in the fridge a while...maybe a month or two and see if it gets ripe. My mouth is still numb. Ann

2 comments:

Abby said...

nasty...

thanks for the heads up.

Amber B said...

Interesting- I learned something new. I enjoy buying different types of fruits at the store too and I wondered about persimmons. Now I Know (...and knowing is half the battle-smile!)