Monday, March 3, 2008

Nap Time...



I read an article yesterday about a mom who finally decided to take breaks/naps without shame and it really hit home. I’ve read similar musings before, but always walked away thinking that I could do without such indulgences like a real unabridged nap. There are hurtles a mama must jump to make such an event happen…in our house it includes getting at least the two younger kiddos to take a nap as well. But, I’m beginning to see the value in it. It also seems like there is some scriptural backing to not running around like a crazy person and taking the time each day to figure out who you are and let your mind chill out as well. Normally when my little cherubs are finally asleep I run around 100 miles an hour getting as many things done as possible…which is of course what I would like people to assume about me…this I do not understand. Why in the world do I want people to picture me running around getting “things” done? Why would I feel lazy or something if I took a 30 min nap? I think the root is that being “busy” is considered a good thing to our culture. That may never change, and with three kiddos, I don’t expects loads of free time in the near future…but if I sound groggy the next time you call me, feel free to ask if I was napping. I hope I respond with a contended “uhummmm” instead of “who me….no, no, I wasn’t napping….I was getting a hundred things done all at once of course!”

Ann

7 comments:

Bry&Ash said...

That sounds so wonderful right now...and I don't even have any kids. You have my full support to nap. (If you dare to with your crazy boys):)

Kaitlin said...

Right on. We're studying the affects of sleep in my Psych. class. Sleeping is never something that we should feel guilty doing. It is a way for our body to rebuild all of it's functioning, both physically and mentally. My text book said that sleeping should never be thought of as a waste of time. It said that there's hardly a better way to use your time than to rebuild yourself(Of course that's no excuse to sleep all day or anything).

Minders said...

I needed to read this today. We were gone all weekend so today I feel as though I have to get 100 things done whether Noah is sleeping or not. Not to mention the fact that I could go into labor at any time. I feel like I need to have our house in order and everything perfect before I go into labor. Chances are that won't happen no matter how hard I try! So thanks for the encouragement of resting. I am going to go start another load of laundry and then lay on the couch until Noah wakes up. :)

Sandra said...

glad to hear this....I have to admit...I take a nap probably 4 times in a week out of the 7 days!!! I know, you might be thinking I am lazy, but I do get lots done too.(to my defense of course). When caden lays down for his nap, and elijah puts in a movie I lay on the couch and I can find myself drifting off to sleep within minutes. I enjoy my naps and yet I still get things done:) Thanks for the post so I don't feel so bad about my naps.

Luke & Andria said...

Thanks for the fun comments, I'm enjoying them and feeling better and better about catching Zzs all the time...

Julie said...

Ann,
I love taking naps. I love sleeping in. And I love staying up past midnight. So, if you ever stop by when my house is a mess...well, it's because I decided to take a nap instead! =) There's no point in cleaning until after my two tornadoes go to bed at night anyway... right?

Luke & Andria said...

right =o)