Monday, February 4, 2008

Tomato...Tomato...a Fruit?



You know those random questions that float around in your head...like "is a tomato really a fruit or a vegetable?" These kinds of questions drive me crazy until I look up the answer. So here I have some limited information from my search if you are interested and like random facts about random things. Don't get me started on attic flies that hibernate-you know, those icky slow ones that come out when it gets warm that look half dead flying around. They're real OK...whatever my family tells you, it's true?! =o)

On with the tomatoes, this is quoted from www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutother/tomato

Enjoy!

"The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nuts. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savory rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. So a tomato is the fruit of the tomato plant, but can be used as a vegetable in cooking."

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I just had to comment about those flies....THEY DO EXIST!!! Me and my sisters(or maybe it was just one sister and my brother...whoever it was)...we would capture those flies and we would throw them into this "decorative butter churn" thing in my parents house when we were younger. I know gross...but we always would catch them and name them George (always the same name) and throw them into the churn to stay there for their deaths. Silly I know but it brought back some fun memories that I had forgotten about till you speak of those almost dead flies.

Nathan and Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan and Natalie said...

I absolutely HATE those flies!! They seem so sickly and gross. Seriously, there's something wrong when you can squish a fly like a spider and don't even need to be fast when you swat them! Blech!! They give me the willies

Luke & Andria said...

Sandra

What a crack up! So funny..

Natalie

they are really icky...I wish they would just die like all the rest of them during the winter months. =o)